• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Trying to get BASIC for my Mac SE30

vic user

Veteran Member
Hi;

I would like to get a form of BASIC for my trusty old MacSE30.

I know that Chipmunk BASIC is free for these old Mac's, but I have only seen dowloads for this if you have a browser.

I telnet around on my Mac via my freenet account, and thus need a FTP site I guess, so I can download it.

Any ideas, hints, or any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Hm.. can you capture the telnet output into a file? Is that NCSA Telnet you are using or something else? My idea was that if you know the exact URL to the file, you can use telnet to pick it up:

telnet website 80 (the port, might not be changable in your client)

Then you would write GET /path-to-the-file HTTP/1.0 and press Enter twice. In the best case, the window will be full of binary garbage or it automatically is captured onto file. If it does FTP, maybe you can pick up some simple web browser first and get the other file through this one?

Since it a SE30, I guess it doesn't have a SuperDrive allowing you to read PC formatted floppies which had been another quite simple solution.

I will check to see what my freenet account let's me do.

It would sure be nice to program on the SE.

I often use 'TransMac', some kind of shareware thing I downloaded, that let's me read Mac formatted disks on my pc, and transfer files back and forth, but I have only ever got it to work with text files.

supposedly you can do it with hqx files etc.. but i am unsure if it is me not knowing how to use it properly, or that those features only work when i buy the full version of Transmac.

Chris

Cool. I didn't know a generic (dumb) PC drive could write on Mac floppies. To read Mac, Amiga and 1581 disks with decent success rate has been possible since a few years.

Anyway, good luck. Myself, I am quite convinced there is a preinstalled version of Netscape 2 or 3 on the 40 MB hard drive on my LC475. It should take PC floppies too, but I don't know how I would go on if I wished to replace the hard drive and install something onto it. I have an old 300 MB IBM SCSI drive in a drawer, but I don't even know if it is OK.

I can format a Mac disk using this program as well.

Here is the readme file for that transmac program:

TRANSMAC V4.1 Readme

Acute Systems
PO Box 37
Algonquin, IL 60102
USA

http://www.asy.com
info@asy.com

Register to receive your password at http://www.asy.com

Be sure to check our web site for future updates and other information.

INSTALLATION NOTES:
TransMac uses a password system to unlock features available only to registered users. To enter your code, press the "Register" button in the lower right corner of the License Agreement window that appears upon starting TransMac. Enter your Name and Registration Code in the appropriate boxes and click "OK". Now read the License Agreement and click "Yes" if you agree to the terms. If you have entered your code in the setup program, this step is not necessary.

In the Configuration Settings dialog you can change startup options for TransMac like which drives to access and the size of the IO buffer.The dialog can be accessed from within TransMac under "Options" or as a separate program in the TransMac group.

TIPS:
Pressing the "F1" key when a TransMac window is showing will show the help topic for that specific window.

A convenient right-click popup menu is available in the file list boxes.

Before you can copy files to a Mac disk you must select a Mac drive (from the "Mac Drive:" box) and open a volume (in the "Mac Files" list box).

NOTE: Low density (400k/800k) Mac diskettes can not be read by PC floppy controllers, so they are not supported in TransMac.

Windows95/98 only: If you have an IDE CD drive and you experience system crashes or problems with the CD drive, unistall TransMac, then reinstall with a /nr on the command line (eg: setup /nr). This will bypass ASPI CDROM support since a few drives have problems with this setting.

If TransMac takes a long time to start up, try using the Configuration Utility to scan only the SCSI IDs you need. This should speed startup because only a few IDs will be scanned.

See the the accompanying help file for more information about using TransMac.

V3.4
NEW FEATURES:
- New File Type Map interface.
- Better support for NT drives.

FIXES:
- Fix to show drive sizes over 2 Meg.
- Minor fix to MacBinary translation.

V3.4b
FIXES:
- Type Map fixes to handle blank creator as wild card.
- ASPI access set as default for NT due to problem with system access routines.

V3.4c
FIXES:
- System access routines fixed. NT machines with a Zip drive had problems.

V4.0
NEW FEATURES:
- Updated user interface.
- Buttons moved to top toolbar.
- Resizable main window.
- Remembers window size and position.
- Uses listview istead of standard listboxes.
- Right click popup menu support.
- Configuration utility merged into main program.
- International date formats supported.
- Added option in config utility not to remap upper characters in file names (this should only be selected for machines using the Roman system character set).
FIXES:
- Fixed problems where very large byte counts (> 4GB) did not display correctly.
- Fixed problem under NT where some unassigned SCSI drives were not recognized.
- Fixed problem where some invalid PC characters caused a "Could not create file/folder" error when copying from Mac to PC. These characters are now substituted with the default character so they copy without error.

V4.0c
FIXES:
- Fixed problem where item at top of list is always selected. This happened because previous version used a new function not available on Win95/NT unless IE3 or later was installed. A function available on all Windows versions is now used.

V4.0d
FIXES:
- Fixed problem where Mac files with double quote (") in name would not copy.
- Fixed exception thrown at program startup on some machines when automatically detecting diskette drive under Win95/98.
- Fixed problem with timeout for ASPI/SCSI drives.

V4.1
NEW FEATURES:
- Support to access more drives (PP and USB) under Win NT/2000.
- Files in list box now show Windows registered icons.
- Added ability to create and mount file based virtual Mac volumes which can be written to CD using many CDR software packages.
FIXES:
- Fixed problem in Win NT/2000 where drives would sometimes be inaccessible and give a "No Mac HFS Volumes Found" error.
- Fixed drive locking problem for NT/2000 which sometimes caused disk read/write errors.
- Fixed problem with busy cursor "sticking".
- Fixed nasty floppy bug that caused GPF at program startup - Win95/98 only.

V4.1c
FIXES:
- Fixed problem where certain files would not copy.

Chris

Mac Disk Utility

Mac Disk Utility

vic user said:
I can format a Mac disk using this program as well.

(snip!)

Chris

There is also MacChette which is a freeware mac disk utility that works all the way down to DOS.

Also I highly recommend Chipmunk BASIC for the Mac, of all the version the Classic Mac version has the most features.

I know there exists a Visual Mac Basic I have it on my performa 575 I don't know if it works on an SE/30. Anyone can clarify this for me?

Maybe the Visual one requires a more recent MacOS version than the SE would support.. or more resources in terms of CPU, memory and so on.

Back