• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tryout and teardown of two Tandy Colour Computer 2s

intabits

Experienced Member
To help with repairing my Compacta Uniboard, I was looking for a working 6809 based system to help develop a ROM emulator gizmo using a RAM chip.

I have an old Tandy Colour Computer 2, that I tried to fire up after 35 years of storage:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gvMJ6ilvAU

No joy there, so I bought another CoCo to satisfy my original aim, and also to help with fixing the first CoCo:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPekIKz-RAM

At least that one works.

Now to play with RAMs, ROMs and CoCos...

This might save you some time on the ROMulator: the Momik memSIM2. It's sold on Ebay, selss for ~$80 US. I've only had a chance to quickly play around with it. It support emulation up to 27040 (4Mbit), I think. I've had to build a set of adapters to use it with the tiny 2K roms. Make sure you order the cables and adapters with it. I haven't had much of a chance to really use it and I've downloaded C source code to get it to run under Linux. When loading the smaller roms sizes make sure to load them into the rest of the ROMulator (every 2K). I'm never really sure where the ROM image will sit. One day I'll get enough free time to figure that out.

Thanks for that. I'll try to find some out more about it, but I won't be getting one.
It's fairly expensive, has minimal documentation (and in Polish), and seems geared more to the larger range of ROMs.

My use case is for more vintage gear.
I need 2716 (2K), 2732 (4K), both 24 pin, and my first CoCo has 8K in 24 pins. Though you indicate it can be adapted to work with these also.
The opto-isolation is nice, but not essential for what I have in mind.

My design is 95% done, so I'll continue with it.

NP, actually thanks for reminding me I had this thing. I'll be pulling it into a spot where the last ROM was a 2732. :)

Onward to getting my Sardis ST-2900 running again. :)

Back