• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tulip PC Compact 2 / Vanilla V20-9 with extensive battery damage.

Glen M

Experienced Member
I'm currently working on a computer I bought a few weeks back, it branded as a Vanilla V20-9 but its just a rebadged Tulip PC Compact 2.

It had suffered extensive battery leak damage, to the point actually were I wish I'd not started trying to repair but it is what it is and I was hoping someone on here might be able to help.

On removing the jumper blocks, were there was extensive leaking corrosion, most the pads and traces are damaged. I was hoping someone here might have access to one of these systems and be able to verify if the two pins I have shown below with a red box aronud them are shorted? All the pads and traces under here are gone but there is what looked like the imprint of a former trace connecting these. I would be most grateful if anyone could help.

Now... I don't think the above would stop the board from booting, or at least showing some signs of life so there are bigger issues to address, namely:

1. System clock doesn't seem stable. By that I mean when you first power on you'll see a clock pulse on the CPU but after a few seconds it will go low, then after some more time it might comes back but be sporadic. The same issue can be seen on the faraday chip which generates the signal so possibly the crystal (which was heavily corroded) is just done.

2. I think there may be an issue with the reset line. There certainly was an issue in so much as a faulty bit of 74 logic wasn't outputting the reset line to half the board, that has been addressed but my ISA test card still shows reset as high which I can't understand since measuring it everywhere its low.

There still is some corrosion on the board to deal with although it is minor and please excuse the messy green nail polish, most all the solder mask has flaked off the board so I had to cover it with something. The board did once last night throw up a post code of F1 on the test card so that's making me think there's hope for it yet. Although if it alludes me much more I'll probably just call it and stick another motherboard in the case.

2. I think there may be an issue with the reset line. There certainly was an issue in so much as a faulty bit of 74 logic wasn't outputting the reset line to half the board, that has been addressed but my ISA test card still shows reset as high which I can't understand since measuring it everywhere its low.
Although, be aware that on some motherboards, RESET will be expected to be LOW (active HIGH) in some places, and HIGH (active LOW) in other places. An example is shown at [here].

But yes, the RESET pin on the ISA slot is expected to be LOW (active HIGH).
Ignoring what your POST (test) card shows, do you measure the reset pin on the ISA connector to be HIGH or LOW ?
If indeed HIGH, trace backwards through the circuitry.

The board did once last night throw up a post code of F1 on the test card so that's making me think there's hope for it yet.
Do you know for fact that the BIOS on the motherboard outputs POST codes? For example, people have reported seeing numbers on a POST card put into the IBM PC, but those numbers cannot be POST codes because the PC's motherboard BIOS does not output POST codes.

Sorry for the late reply.

The reset pin on the isa bus responds as you would expect i.e. High for a split second on post then low, this is tested using my logic probe. This same behaviour can be observed across the reset pins of the main IC's. I don't understand why the post card shows reset as high though. Now that said I have traced the reset line to some 74 logic chips which are faulty Replacing one of these does get a bit more action on the test card in so much as the clock led now lights and the reset led while still on is noticeably dimmer. I have replacements for the rest of the logic on order. I haven't traced out the full extent of this logic with regard the reset line, it does run out to the keyboard connector but I still have some digging to do.

Part of the issue I think is that I found shorts between +12v, - 12v and ground and I know the guy I bought it from had tried to power the system so I suspect in doing so has fried the logic. I can only hope the custom chips survived.

As for post codes I've no idea if the bios supports them or not. I've not seen any more since on the test card.

Back