• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

U/W FOCAL V4E with EAE support on paper tape

Is there a stand-alone paper tape version of U/W FOCAL V4E which uses EAE?
I have some source code, and might be able to find or generate a binary. Which configuration are you looking for? 16K? 32K? EAE I think is default. I think there are other config options, too.

Vince

I would be happy with either 16K or 32K as long as it is a stand-alone version loaded and run from paper tape and uses EAE.
If it includes VC8E point-plot support that would be a nice bonus.

This thread indicates that non EAE source has been lost. https://groups.google.com/g/pidp-8/c/-KDEzk9xuIY. If anybody has seen non EAE chime in. Since you want EAE thats good.

I had this tape image of U/W Focal http://www.pdp8online.com/pdp8cgi/o...nctape-images/os8l/uw_focal_4e.linc;sort=name

Followed note1.tx and seemed to build a binary that loads under SIMH standalone. Tested with single line and it seemed to work. Pasting full program doesn't work so didn't try any real program. Assume bad things will happen if you use any command that needs OS/8.

This is 16k version.

Attachments

• uwf.zip
    7.3 KB · Views: 5
Thank you David. It works fine on SIMH, but without a proper ASR 33 I cannot load the paper tape image. I tried with Teraterm, but I think it pauses and the user is meant to toggle CONT. Unfortunately Teraterm just keeps sending. I will try to find an OS/8 RX01 image with U/W Focal.

Thank you David. It works fine on SIMH, but without a proper ASR 33 I cannot load the paper tape image.
By paper tape image are you referring to uwf.bn? Should work fine. I looked at the uwf.bn and it only has leader at start and end so nothing should be lost when 8 halts at trailing leader. BIN should only stop when it sees leader. Are you sending 8 bit no parity? Can you load other tapes ok? Some terminal programs can't send binary data correctly. I have never tried Teraterm.

By paper tape image are you referring to uwf.bn? Should work fine. I looked at the uwf.bn and it only has leader at start and end so nothing should be lost when 8 halts at trailing leader. BIN should only stop when it sees leader. Are you sending 8 bit no parity? Can you load other tapes ok? Some terminal programs can't send binary data correctly. I have never tried Teraterm.
I can load all the paper tape diags using the BIN loader and Teraterm using the binary upload feature.
Vince has a DEC version which also loads fine: https://svn.so-much-stuff.com/svn/trunk/pdp8/src/dec/dec-08-aja/dec-08-ajae-pb
Maybe I need GTTY for this?

Are you getting an non zero AC from BIN or is it just not running? Are you starting at 100? uwf.bn starts at 100 not 200.

Are you getting initial dialog with ajae? It is in two sections and if you don't hit cont quick enough you will loose the initial dialog if sending doesn't stop.

I found null leader/trailer on both ends of Daves .BN file. You'll want to remove that, rather than send it to the PDP-8. Otherwise it loads some zeroes and stops.

I found null leader/trailer on both ends of Daves .BN file. You'll want to remove that, rather than send it to the PDP-8. Otherwise it loads some zeroes and stops.
Good catch, thanks. File was output from PAL copied to PTP:. Way too many details to forget over the years. Didn't actually try to load with BIN and SIMH load ignores the zeros.

Fixed file

Attachments

• uwf.zip
    7.3 KB · Views: 3
Thanks David and Vince. David's latest FOCAL works fine on a real 8/E with EAE.
It is a bit plain on startup just outputting the "*" prompt.
What version of FOCAL prints the machine type and other status info?

Focal 1969 and others will print the machine type as part of the initial dialog.

U/W has a dialog overlay, but it looks like it needs to be able to load DIALOG.FC, which would likely require the help of OS/8.

Vince

Back