• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ultimate Pentium Build

EverStaR

Experienced Member
Please educate me! I have been on a bit of a kick building awesome retro machines, my 486 Builds hve trajected towards some nice results, and the CoreDuo strategy is progressing nicely. So please feel free to tell me about your ultimate pentium builds, I will definitely be interested and listen carefully!

I want to learn about ultimate MB,CPU, Video and sound choices!

Much thanks in advance!

E

If you mean ultimate, as in using exceedingly rare and unobtanium parts, the Pentium MMX 300. This is a mobile part, but companies made interposer boards for them to work in Socket 7. You need an equally rare Socket 7 board that can do a 4.5x multiplier, or a Super 7 board that can do 4.5x on a 66 MHz FSB.

For video, probably a Matrox MGA Millennium II or G200 with a Voodoo1.

Sound, an AWE64 for DOS compatibility.

Never understood why every build needs to be "ultimate". Just create a system that people could have used back in the day. The more uncommon stuff you mix, the lower the compatibility gets with games from that time. And even the fastest Pentium 1 system is trashed by the weakest system of the next generation, which would be a Pentium II 266 Mhz.

Anyway, if you mean "Pentium" as in "Socket 7", you can try building something around the AMD K6-III+. Prepare to spend lots of money for that, however. And whatever the outcome is, it's not woth it, as you can simply build an equally fast system for way less.

This matrix below spans from the Intel 486 era through the introduction of multi-core processors with the Core Duo and Core 2 Duo, illustrating the evolution of Intel's processor technology and the broader computing landscape over these periods. It was generated by GPT V4.

Socket 775 was added simply because it represents machines I already have on the low end and on the high end to help think through what it is I may actually pursue. I will have to think on this as a potential project more and decide what it is I am really after and if it matters. At present I have focused my builds around operating systems, I have on a DOS Win 3.11, Win 95 and OS/2 for low end 486 system and I have XP up on the Core DUO. So I could make the Core Duo Win 7 Dual Boot and have that all pretty well covered. I only added 95 because I could and still trying to stabilize that load on the 486. So I am not sure how interested I am in a W98 machine. Definitely not worried about NT, Vista, ME, or Win 8. I think this is helping me lose my appetite for a Pentium Build. Definitely more thought required and I can come back to this later.

Remember, anytime you are doing something fun for yourself, others don't have to agree with it, however, I do value outside perspective and help shaping the experience, hence why I posed the question here. I like to hear about peoples ultimate as it usually reflects their passion for a given topic. I value the negative input as well as it helps shape what pitfalls may lay ahead.

That said, thanks to all and more input and comments on the accuracy of GPTs matrix will continue to be of interest to me. AI is rated at about 72% accuracy, so I suspect there are going to be errors in the table above.

AttributeIntel 486Pentium I (Socket 7)Pentium IIPentium IIIAMD AlternativesCyrix AlternativesPentium 4Core DuoCore 2 Duo
Board Socket TypeSocket 1, 2, 3Socket 7Slot 1Slot 1, Socket 370Socket 7, Slot A, Socket ASocket 7Socket 423, 478, LGA 775Socket M, P, LGA 775LGA 775, Socket P
Max MemoryUp to 128MBUp to 256MBUp to 1GBUp to 1.5GBUp to 1.5GBUp to 256MBUp to 4GBUp to 4GB (depends on chipset)Up to 8GB (depends on chipset)
Max Hard DriveIDE up to 504MBIDE, SCSIIDE, SCSIIDE, SCSI, SATAIDE, SCSI, SATAIDE, SCSIIDE, SATASATASATA
HD Interface TypesIDEIDE, SCSIIDE, SCSIIDE, SCSI, SATAIDE, SCSI, SATAIDE, SCSIIDE, SATASATASATA
USB SupportNoNoYesYesYesNoYesYesYes
Supported OSDOS, Windows 3.x, Windows 95DOS, Windows 3.x, Windows 95/98, NTWindows 95/98, NT, 2000Windows 98, NT, 2000, XPDOS, Windows 3.x, 95/98, NT, LinuxDOS, Windows 3.x, 95/98, NTWindows 98, ME, 2000, XP, VistaWindows XP, Vista, 7, LinuxWindows XP, Vista, 7, Linux
Clock Speed Range25-100 MHz75-233 MHz233-450 MHz450 MHz-1.4 GHz90 MHz-1 GHz (K6-III+)100-333 MHz (6x86MX)1.3-3.8 GHz1.06-2.33 GHz1.8-3.16 GHz
L2 Cache SizeNone256KB-512KB (off-chip)512KB (off-chip)256KB-2MB (on-die for later models)64KB-1MB (off-chip or on-die)64KB-256KB (off-chip)256KB-2MB2MB-4MB shared2MB-6MB shared
Manufacturing Process1000-800 nm800-250 nm350-250 nm250-180 nm350-180 nm350-250 nm180-65 nm65 nm65 nm
Instruction Set EnhancementsNoneMMX (for MMX models)MMXMMX, SSEMMX, 3DNow! (for some models)MMX (for some models)SSE2, SSE3 (later models)SSE, SSE2, SSE3SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4 (some models)
Power Consumption (TDP)~4-15W~15-30W~20-43W~25-29.9W~15-45W~13.8-23.5W~20-115W9-40W10-65W
Integrated GraphicsNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNo (some later models may integrate)
Expansion Slot TypesISA, VLBISA, PCI, VLBPCI, AGPPCI, AGPISA, PCI, AGPISA, PCI, VLBAGP, PCI, PCIePCI, PCIePCI, PCIe
Chipset FeaturesBasic supportEnhanced support for faster memory and I/OAGP support, improved memory managementAGP 4x, improved I/OSimilar to Intel counterpartsBasic to enhanced supportEnhanced memory support, Hyper-ThreadingImproved power management, Dual-coreImproved power management, Dual-core, Enhanced virtualization
FSB Speed16-33 MHz60-66 MHz66-100 MHz100-133 MHz66-100 MHz60-75 MHz400-1066 MHz533-667 MHz800-1600 MHz
Multi-Core SupportNoNoNoNoNoNoNo (Hyper-Threading in some models)YesYes
Virtualization SupportNoNoNoNoNoNoYes (in later models)YesYes
Price at Launch$150-$500$300-$600$600-$1000$700-$1000$100-$850$100-$300$150-$850$200-$637$100-$530
Release Date1989-19921993-19991997-19991999-20011996-20001995-19982000-200820062006-2008
End of Life/SupportMid-1990sLate 1990sEarly 2000sMid-2000sEarly 2000sLate 1990sLate 2000sLate 2000sLate 2000s/Early 2010s

Notes:​

• Integrated Graphics: While the Core 2 Duo itself did not integrate graphics, Intel's later generations (starting with some Core i3/i5/i7 models) began to include integrated graphics on the CPU die.
  • Expansion Slot Types: Reflects the transition from AGP to PCI Express (PCIe) as the standard for graphics cards and high-speed peripherals.
  • Virtualization Support: Indicates the inclusion of Intel VT-x technology in later models, which significantly improved performance in virtualized environments.

E

Never understood why every build needs to be "ultimate".
Its not necessarily about having the absolute max fastest possible specs on paper. For a lot of us the goal is simply to build the high-end system we could never afford back then to see what it would have been like.

Personally I'd rather have a Pentium Pro than a P1, but I'd like to follow this thread all the same. I don't have a P1 yet.

I have pretty much the ultimate Pentium III-S system, except for esoteric greater-than-dual-CPU systems in a IBM server with dual Tualatin Pentium III-S 1.4GHz CPUs and 4GB of ECC RAM. So there's one place the GPT-generated table gets it wrong; 4GB on Pentium III-S is possible.

Likewise, I actually did do more than 256MB on a Socket 7 system once; K6-2 500, pretty close to the ultimate Super 7. VIA Apollo, don't remember the specific chipset right off but had 512MB in it. Had two 512MB SDRAM DIMMs, but never installed both in it for 1GB. But only the very last Apollo chipsets supported that much.

Last edited:
I have pretty much the ultimate Pentium III-S system, except for esoteric greater-than-dual-CPU systems in a IBM server with dual Tualatin Pentium III-S 1.4GHz CPUs and 4GB of ECC RAM. So there's one place the GPT-generated table gets it wrong; 4GB on Pentium III-S is possible.

Likewise, I actually did do more than 256MB on a Socket 7 system once; K6-2 500, pretty close to the ultimate Super 7. VIA Apollo, don't remember the specific chipset right off but had 512MB in it. Had two 512MB SDRAM DIMMs, but never installed both in it for 1GB. But only the very last Apollo chipsets supported that much.
Thanks for reporting those errors, I was certain this crowd here would find them! :)

I am still pouring through this chart, its really can create interesting decision points. If I were going to do something I think it would be a Win98 machine with maybe 2000 dual boot but not for any really good reason. Its just that I have licensed copies for pretty much every Desktop OS MS made from Dos/3.1 to 11PRO WS. I think part of the fun is working through what was period correct and trying to remember what I was doing back in the Day when I had them. Then the whole strategy of selecting which machine to build and for what purpose is entertaining as well. Getting them to actually work again can be interesting as well, especially when you learn you have bad RAM, or my latest issue was a bad CD-ROM drive.

E

Try a slot1 Pentium III build for Windows 98 with a voodoo 3(or 5 if you can swing it). Its a lot of fun to see how games looked on that thing compared to competing cards.

If you want P2/P3 exotics try building a Xeon.

For MMX build I can give a thumbs up for this board

SDRAM, AGP, PCI, ISA, so many options covering from DOS to Windows 2K.
I don't tie graphics to systems tho, unless I have to. I've ran GeForce 2 AGP, MGA G400 AGP, Millenium 2 PCI, Hercules Stingray PCI, among others for various purposes on different OSes.

With a board like this you can run some cheap AGP 3D card that compares to Voodoo 1/2 performance, until you get good opportunity and price for Voodoo.

Xeon boards are tough to find and very pricey. There weren't a lot made in the standard ATX formfactor.

Please educate me! I have been on a bit of a kick building awesome retro machines, my 486 Builds hve trajected towards some nice results, and the CoreDuo strategy is progressing nicely. So please feel free to tell me about your ultimate pentium builds, I will definitely be interested and listen carefully!

I want to learn about ultimate MB,CPU, Video and sound choices!

Much thanks in advance!

E
The older I get, the more I appreciate simplicity. I would put a Pentium 233 MMX in a 430TX motherboard and call it a day.

Xeon boards are tough to find and very pricey. There weren't a lot made in the standard ATX formfactor.

It is, kind of, ultimate rig of the day. Also something that's more of a project to do than just go out and buy one of hundreds Pentium boards.

The older I get, the more I appreciate simplicity. I would put a Pentium 233 MMX in a 430TX motherboard and call it a day.
This. Either a 430TX or 430HX with a 233 MMX. To get extra credit find an NEC 4 disc CD changer and a 3DFX Voodoo. This with Win 98 will give a period-correct feel, even though the 233 MMX wasn't cutting edge for Win 98.

Pentium III seems to be the middle spot for me, and has AGP slot. Hmmmm well heck, bought a Gateway ATXSTF FED Pro M1000 Tower PC for fun at$100 delivered for a trial experience. It runs a 1 Ghz P III CPU, 256Mab RAM and has an AGP slot. No HD so I can handle that on my own, I have plenty of drives laying around.

Sound Card?
VIDEO card?

I am never afraid to buy something like this so cheap, I usually end up reselling for enough to seriously fund what I want after I buy a few and resell. I bought a few core DUO Dells like this for $69 and learned what I needed to know, cleaned them up, Modded them to work with higher end period correct video cards and upgraded PSU, upgraded RAM, drives and sold at a nice profit. Time we'll spent!

In the case of the 486, same deal! Ultimately will end up with a wonderful Asus MB based system. Yes, I do the work for the ones that want a turn key system, just like I did back in the day!

E

Last edited:
Corrections
Pentium III seems to be the middle spot for me, and has AGP slot. Hmmmm well heck, bought a Gateway ATXSTF FED Pro M1000 Tower PC for fun at$100 delivered for a trial experience. It runs a 1 Ghz P III CPU, 256Mab RAM and has an AGP slot. No HD so I can handle that on my own, I have plenty of drives laying around.

Sound Card? I think back then it may have been an OEM SB Compatible. It might have been ESS or Turtle Beach.
VIDEO card? I s33m to recall a Matrox or Orchis Card. Might have to dig and see if I can figure it out. Matrox feels more like it.
I am never afraid to buy something like this so cheap, I usually end up reselling for enough to seriously fund what I want after I buy a few and resell. I bought a few core DUO Dells like this for $69 and learned what I needed to know, cleaned them up, Modded them to work with higher end period correct video cards and upgraded PSU, upgraded RAM, drives and sold at a nice profit. Time we'll spent!

In the case of the 486, same deal! Ultimately will end up with a wonderful Asus MB based system. Yes, I do the work for the ones that want a turn key system, just like I did back in the day! The irony of it all is two of the 486 MB's will ultimately end up with are ones I sold in wholesale systems I sold way back when and used in my own personal systems, how cool huh?

E

Never understood why every build needs to be "ultimate". Just create a system that people could have used back in the day. The more uncommon stuff you mix, the lower the compatibility gets with games from that time. And even the fastest Pentium 1 system is trashed by the weakest system of the next generation, which would be a Pentium II 266 Mhz.

The slowest PII is 233 MHz, not 266 MHz.

It also doesn't trash the Pentium MMX. The Pentium MMX is better at mixed 16/32 bit code than the Pentium II, which has lineage with the Pentium Pro, which also sucks at mixed 16/32 bit code. In a pure 32 bit environment like Windows NT, Linux or Unix, the Pentium II performed better at the same clock speed. But if you had a Windows 9x/DOS machine, a Pentium MMX would get you better performance.

4 GB is wrong as well. Starting with the Pentium Pro, most Intel x86 CPUs supported PAE, and with the Pentium II Xeon, PSE. This increases the address bus to 36 bits and allows addressing up to 64 GB of RAM, with the limit that no single process can use more than 2/3 GB, or 4 GB with the large address aware flags set in the executable. The Pentium III supports both PAE and PSE.

Microsoft never allowed this in any consumer version of Windows, because they didn't want people to be able to buy desktop Windows and eat into their lucrative server licensing model scam. The only exception was Windows XP RTM (SP0), but they quickly patched that out in SP1. There are ways to patch 32 bit versions of desktop Windows to enable PAE, but since it involves modifying core system files, it's never going to be stable.

There are Socket 370 server boards out there that can accept more than 4 GB of RAM, but you'll need Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Windows Server 2003 or Linux to take advantage of it.

BTW, feel free to make your corrections to the Matrix and repost, this will make it more valuable for future visitors.

Server setups while incredible are not my thing, I am reliving my VAR and OEM prosumer days. Servers were just beyond my reach and scope, but that doesn't mean I would have loved to live that space!

I have a dual PIII server I'll be putting back into the fold when I build a new desk here)hopefully next month but we'll see). Pentium IIIs just seem to be my jam. I won't question it.

Back