• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ultra Rare Timex Sinclair 1000 (ZX-81) with BLACK Keyboard?

LambdaMikel

Experienced Member
I have picked this up for 40 $ on eBay ("untested" of course - I knew I would have to work on it...). This time I also had to replace 2 keyboard matrix diodes (first time I had to do this). The usual "cut off and re-insert" method didn't work with the keyboard connector, as the break was to close to the keyboard membrane. Hence, I came up with this solution (attached) which works nicely and should also be longer lasting.

Over the years, I have fixed, resold, and kept ~ 20 ZX-81 / Timex 1000, but never saw one like this! Question: how rare is this version with the black keyboard? It must be an early US model (its a Revision 1 motherboard, with the hand-drawn curvy traces). Usually I don't spend so much time trying to salvage the old membrane keyboards (given that there are new replacements available), but this black one seems so rare that it seemed worth the effort.

Anybody else has such a Timex 1000 / ZX-81 or knows more about these? It was made in Portugal. Thanks!

IMG_20201004_113236 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20201004_113250 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20201004_124337 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20201004_113300 (Medium).jpg

I've never seen one like that before. I noticed it uses the U.S. key labels (Enter and Delete, instead of Newline and Rubout like on UK keyboards).

When I saw it I wondered if its original purpose was to improve the 'accessibility' of the keyboard by making it extremely high-vis, i.e, for people with sight difficulties. Quite honestly, I wish modern PC keyboards were legended like that rather than using thin, dim grey-white characters on black keys.

Back