• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Undocumented XT286 motherboard

Anonymous Coward

Veteran Member
I recently came across some photos of an XT286 which I initially thought had an aftermarket motherboard installed due the presence of an integrated chipset. However, on closer inspection the board appears to be manufactured by IBM. Unlike normal 5162 boards it has no SIMM slots and four rows of DIP memory, totalling 640k. There are two intel manufactured ICs that contain what I assume would be the usual TTL logic, and an IBM marked PLCC 80286 CPU. The board is installed in a case, and I am unable to see the portion that contains the crystal. I dont know what speed the boards runs at. I assume 6MHz like a normal XT286. The ICs contain markings indicating that it was made sometime in 1988.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of one of these?

That would have been made after IBM had shut down the 5162 production lines. It would be funny if IBM ran out of spare motherboards and had to use a clone board to replace a failed 5162.

Unfortunately, I don't own this board. The seller who had it already sold it to someone else, and I probably won't be able to find out who the new owner is.

I had heard that the IBM AT had sold in France quite a bit later than in North America, so it's possible that the XT-286 continued on past it's expiration dates in foreign markets as well.

If you look at the board closely, it seems pretty obvious that this board is of IBM design and not some remarked 3rd party board. It follows some of the design cues of the 5170 and 5162 planars.

I'll at least contact the seller to see if he has full photos of the board. Who knows, maybe he has more...

Back