• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

USB PCI Card Driver Issue

stangman517

Experienced Member
Greetings.

I have a Keyspan USB PCI Card recently installed in a Apple Mac G3 Beige desktop (clean install). I cannot get Mac OS9.2.2 to see the card.

The quickstart guide says: "If you are running Mac OS 9.2.2 you must install Apple's USB drivers from your Mac OS 9.x CD. To do this run the Mac OS Installer and proceed as if you are installing the OS. You will be told you already have the OS installed and asked if you want to 'Add or Remove' software. Click the 'Add or Remove' button. You will now see a list of items to install. Select only Mac OS 9.x from the list.. Under 'Installation Mode' select Customized Installation.' When you are asked to select which components to install, place a check mark next to 'Network and Connectivity.' Click the 'OK' button to return to the previous screen and start the installation.

Installation is now complete."

Ok I did this exactly and still the system does not see the USB card. Is there something else I need to do? Is it an extensions problem? Help is appreciated. I'm a neophyte Mac user, so be gentle. ;-)

Thanks

Last edited:
First step: does the card appear in Apple System Profiler?
Do you have the exact model # of the card?
What are you trying to connect to it that isn't showing up?

Yes it does; then I remove the card and the System Profiler shows it gone.
The main chip is OPTi Firelink 82C861
Before the clean install a USB mouse worked, but post the clean install the USB mouse stopped working. Now I have to use a ADB mouse.
I checked Extensions Mgr. and it appears USB support is checked

Does System Profiler see it as a USB card? And, if so, do you see a USB bus in Apple System Profiler? If you see the USB bus, that at least means the OS tried to initialize it. If no devices appear, I would suspect the card somehow went bad.

Not sure if I can answer your ? "do you see a USB bus . . ." so I've attached a two pics. Hope it helps. I noticed a "Missing Extensions" txt file on my desktop, and the contents is one of these pics.

Thanks for all your help!!
MacPic1.jpgMacPic2.jpg

The second image is the one that matters. That shows you have a "usb" {sic} card installed and it looks like the OS does recognize it. When you connect a USB device, restart Apple System Profiler and go to that same pane. You should see a "USB" bus with the device, in addition to the card. Does that happen? Do any other devices work, like thumb drives or keyboards?

Ok ClassicHasClass, I gotta ask because I can't find it; how do I restart "Apple System Profiler?" Does restarting the computer not restart it?

Thanks

Last edited:
No matter what I tried Mac OS 9.2.2 doesn't see any thumb drives, floppy drive, or USB mouse attached to the card. Last night I decided to put Mac OS X on it and voila this OS sees the card and any USB device connected to it. Plus configuring TCP/IP for Internet was MUCH easier to setup. I've got 768MB of RAM, and the system appears to run very well. Now I need to flip thru everything and see if there are updates available.

I very much appreciate your time ClassicHasClass!

Last edited:
Back