• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Use Sparc 5 Ultra memory in Sparc Station 5

gertk

Experienced Member
Having acquired two 32 MByte Ultra 5 memory modules only to find out that the center notch in the memory module is 1 mm shifted compared to the Sparc Station 5 memory modules.
Would it be possible to modify these and use them ? I also noticed that there are two smd resistors (0 ohm) placed at the positions PD6 and PD7 which on the Sparc Station 5 modules are unoccupied. That also can be fixed quite easily.
Have already googled for the pinout of both modules but nothing found..

In general: no, that will not work. Memory modules (almost any kind) are made physically incompatible whenever the pinout, electrical or logical interface changes. Even if you managed to modify this to physically fit it would not work (best result), or it would destroy your machine (worst result).

Ah yes, the Sparc Station 5 module uses the C series (5V) of 4M chips and the Ultra module use the V (3.3V) series.

Well it was worth a shot, Sparc Station 5 Memory is getting scarse and/or extremely expensive these days

What is your ideal outcome here? I might have a spare or two.

I had hoped for about $20 per 32 MByte module, the machine is just for tinkering and fun but could use some more memory.
You don't have a spare S24 graphic card lying around ? :)

Regards,
Gert

I had hoped for about $20 per 32 MByte module, the machine is just for tinkering and fun but could use some more memory.
You don't have a spare S24 graphic card lying around ? :)

I'll have a poke around, see what I've got, and PM you if I find something. I definitely don't have a spare S24.

Yeah I am in the same boat - could use some memory for my SS4. It’s frustrating how expensive SS4/5 RAM is versus SS10/20 RAM which you can get for like $5 for 64MB. I thought I found a lead on some cheap SS5 RAM but they cancelled my order when they realized they had priced the RAM too low. Ugh.

Yeah I am in the same boat - could use some memory for my SS4. It’s frustrating how expensive SS4/5 RAM is versus SS10/20 RAM which you can get for like $5 for 64MB. I thought I found a lead on some cheap SS5 RAM but they cancelled my order when they realized they had priced the RAM too low. Ugh.

Don't you hate that ?

Many years ago during the early 90's RAM wobbles, I ordered some that were at such a fantastic price I paid for them in full there and then. When they turned up, they tried to back pedal and the owner 'refused to sell them', I pointed out as I had already paid in full, they were mine and to hand over my property. Got quite nasty.

Seems like some of the power Macs also used 5 Volt 168 pin memory modules but it looks like they are non-ECC so probably will not work in the SS5 (SS4)

Back