• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Using an XT keyboard with an AT-type computer

boggit

Experienced Member
I have a beautiful 84-key Model F keyboard (Swedish/Finnish, hence 84 rather than 83) from a 5150/PC computer, that I cleaned up and have been using with my 5160/XT. At the moment, I'm waiting for a 286 motherboard that I bought over eBay, with an AT keyboard connector, that I'm intending to put in a 5160 case that previously housed a (dead) JUKO turbo motherboard.

What options do I have for using my XT keyboard with my new 286?

I've googled around, reading through various threads here such as this one, this one (wherein modem7 mentions the KBXT.EXE route as a possible solution) and the same issue discussed here. Most relevant discussions that I've found are several years old, however, and I was hoping that new solutions may have popped up since then.

From what I've gathered thus far, I'm looking at the following ways forward:

1. Hope that the KBXT.EXE trick (as outlined here) will work.
The backside is that, well, it might not work, and even if it does, it requires a rather inelegant jumbling around of keyboards in order to get the computer to boot properly.

2. Buy this adapter from Hagstrom Electronics and then purchase a Ps/2 to 5 din adapter.
The backsides are many: the Hagstrom adapter itself costs half as much as I paid for my Model F, even when not taking shipping and custom charges into consideration. Furthermore, the adapter seems to be sold without an enclosure/case, which will make my otherwise aestethically pleasing 5160 setup look atrocious.

3. Get my hands on this XT2AT adapter.
Seems to fit the bill quite nicely, but I cannot seem to find any online vendor that has it for sale, and I lack both the skill and the will to build it myself.

4. Cry a few tears, pack down the Model F and put it into the closet.
And instead use the AT keyboard that I already have (which I, ironically, used with an AT2XT-adapter on my 5160 before buying the Model F).

Please add your own advice, suggestions and recommendations!

Odd to see "backside" used like that; we would say "downside" here. Backside is your rump.

That Hagstrom adapter looks ok. I'm sure you could stash it inside the 5160 case somewhere.

The XT2AT adapter you linked (#3) does the opposite conversion.

Last edited:
How would that work, exactly?
The 286 motherboard you linked is a lot smaller than a standard XT motherboard. So there will be space in front where you can attach the Hagstrom board (using standoffs, velcro, adhesive tape, etc). Then you can run miniDIN to DIN cables out the back. Plug one into the motherboard port, and plug your keyboard into the other one.

There are bits and bobs of code in the snippets on the net and in the Arduino libraries, that can handle almost any mainstream input standard ever.
I'm already busy with a 'embedded' project for old PCs I won't open another one.

My exact idea was to make Arduino board with AT/XT/PS2 output as a bridge for controlling vintage PC from main PC.
I may find space for another monitor on the desk but extra old keyboard and mouse are too bulky. That's my use case. For boggit's use it's inverted, input old devices, output USB HID protocol.

The 286 motherboard you linked is a lot smaller than a standard XT motherboard. So there will be space in front where you can attach the Hagstrom board (using standoffs, velcro, adhesive tape, etc). Then you can run miniDIN to DIN cables out the back. Plug one into the motherboard port, and plug your keyboard into the other one.
Ah, that's not a bad idea at all! Thank you!

Wonderful! I don't suppose you'd consider selling me one of those?
I'll have to see if I can find my spare one. Things are kind of a mess right now. I'm trying to move out of my house. It might be a while before I can even look for it. But if you're still in the market for one when I do find it, I will certainly sell it to you for a reasonable price. Probably just for the cost of the parts plus shipping.

I'll have to see if I can find my spare one. Things are kind of a mess right now. I'm trying to move out of my house. It might be a while before I can even look for it. But if you're still in the market for one when I do find it, I will certainly sell it to you for a reasonable price. Probably just for the cost of the parts plus shipping.
That sounds great! Take your time.

EDIT: Just to be clear, the only thing that would be needed for my use case besides your adapter, would be a passive PS/2-to-AT adapter, right?

Last edited:
I don't want to sound rude and hamper anyone's business but I don't think you two are on the same page. He cannot sell you keyboard integration unless you send your keyboard to him. So If you want a plug and play solution this is not it. You can wait for ibmapc to make you a MCU+PS/2 side, you still have to mod your keyboard yourself.

I don't want to sound rude and hamper anyone's business but I don't think you two are on the same page. He cannot sell you keyboard integration unless you send your keyboard to him. So If you want a plug and play solution this is not it. You can wait for ibmapc to make you a MCU+PS/2 side, you still have to mod your keyboard yourself.
Its an easy mod! anyone with a screwdriver can do it!!

boggit wrote; "Just to be clear, the only thing that would be needed for my use case besides your adapter, would be a passive PS/2-to-AT adapter, right?"

No, you keep the original cord which plugs right into the AT motherboard!

No, you keep the original cord which plugs right into the AT motherboard!
Yes, I figured as much when I read the readme on the Github page more closely. Truly a beautiful and elegant solution! Even better than using an external adapter dongle Like I did with AT->XT.

Another idea:

Would it work with something like this Soarer's XT/AT-to-USB adapter, combined with a dumb USB-to-Ps/2 adapter such as this one, combined with a dumb Ps/2-to-AT adapter?

Not an elegant solution by any standards, but perhaps the best one, unless I can get my hands on the type of internal adapter described by ibmapc here:
I built a couple of adapters for that very purpose using instructions from a user named ENGICODER on the Deskthority forum. The link below is the GitHub for one of his designs. Everything (Pro Micro Arduino board) is hidden inside the keyboard!
XT2PS2 adapter GitHub

View attachment 1273436

Still looking for a spare adapter! I'm also looking for a previous version that uses a simple micro controller instead of the pro micro. It won't use the Soarers firmware or USB. But should work for your purpose, if I can find it! I'll have a little more time to dig this weekend.

Back