• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Using Multiple Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files?

tempest

Veteran Member
I just installed Windows 3.11 on my 486 for fun, but I noticed that Windows added some stuff to my config.sys and autoexec.bat which takes down the available memory from 613K to 589K. Since I primarily use this as a gaming machine, having free memory is a priority. Is there a way to make a batch file that runs when the computer boots and allows me to choose either my original autoexec and config.sys files (they're backed up as .old) for booting into DOS or the new files if I want to boot into Windows? I would assume there is, but I can't seem to figure out the syntax at the moment.

DRDOS 6.0 has the ability to configure multiple boot options within the CONFIG.SYS. I have it on the shelf and haven't run it in a good while, but I remember it was very useful when setting up different gaming scenarios. There are other DOS flavors out there that more or less have that ability, but I can't remember which ones at the present.

I got it working! Thank you.

The only lasting problem is that Windows 3.11 doesn't seem to want to work with my SB Awe32 card.

The AWE32 is a different topic. Open new thread, describe your jumper setup on the card, IRQ, DMA, IO-Adresses, describe your set blaster= command in Autoexec bat and which and how you have installed the drivers using the IRQ DAM IO adress settings. Describe also other add on cards and their IRQ, DMA and IO-adresses. Please note that there should not be any conflict between different cards regarding IRQ, DMA and IO-adresses, there is no sharing of these ressources.

Back