• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Value of various DOS games (386/486 era)

AB Positive

I'm trying to clean more clutter out, removing stuff I don't need and I came across my small DOS collection. Almost all are 5 1/4" versions meant for 386 machines. All are complete. Someone made a cash offer for three that smacked to me of a stupid lowball but I figured maybe I'm way off and I should double check.

Does anyone happen to know the approx. worth of these:

Sorcerian
King's Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella
Tetris (Russian themed)
Castles II: Siege and Conquest
Starflight
Starflight 2: Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula

Cleaning and selling stuff I don't need also helps me get a small travel fund to help move me, but I'm not looking to squeeze every penny either. I dont' mind giving a deal but I'd hate to take, say 15% of what I supposedly "could get" if that makes any sense.

I mean, if they're worth like $5 a piece or so then so be it :D

I have or have had several of those in the last couple of years (KQ, Tetris, Sorcerian, Castles) and they never went for more than $8 each. Depending on the edition of Kings Quest you may get a little more but just a few dollars or so. The first editions of the earlier KQ games are where the money's at.

Mostly PC games just aren't in demand enough to warrent much higher. Those titles in particular.

What few hardcore collectors there are for DOS games probably won't pay much for many games - I go by the $5 rule unless its special to me. They just don't have much market value for the vast majority. Now, there's always SOMEone who has been looking for a particular game, and it may be one of yours. You just never know: I have sold some that went for $70 when I had just got it for $3. Value is all in the eye of unique buyers.

I'm trying to clean more clutter out, removing stuff I don't need and I came across my small DOS collection. Almost all are 5 1/4" versions meant for 386 machines. All are complete. Someone made a cash offer for three that smacked to me of a stupid lowball but I figured maybe I'm way off and I should double check.

Does anyone happen to know the approx. worth of these:

Sorcerian
King's Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella
Tetris (Russian themed)
Castles II: Siege and Conquest
Starflight
Starflight 2: Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula

Cleaning and selling stuff I don't need also helps me get a small travel fund to help move me, but I'm not looking to squeeze every penny either. I dont' mind giving a deal but I'd hate to take, say 15% of what I supposedly "could get" if that makes any sen
se.

I mean, if they're qpeth like $5 a piece or so then so be it :D

The alternative is to find an auction place frequented by the right type of buyers. Then in auction format sometimes you'll get what it's worth if enough folks look. You're always kinda in the blind with a lot of software though. Many many things aren't worth the shipping costs but again, some folks collect RPGs or other types of games and if they find it they may bid. Maybe chasethechuckwagon?

One thing I see a lot on the software collector mailing list is lots of games I've never heard of that are gold to hardcore collectors like some of them. Then you find some you would think would be great and they end up getting sold in a lot for $12. It's a tough one but like I said, your best bet is to expect low but put it out there to a few knowledgeable sites that you have them or they're posted here in an auction and hopefully you'll get the bite you want.

well, if $5-8 is about a going rate then it's a fair deal. Sorcerian and the Starflights got nabbed then - I should probably edit my buy/sell thread here to include those DOS games. :)

Only problem I see here is that a lot of people simply download there old DOS games from random websites. There are a lot of collectors out there though and if you really want to sell them my best answer would probably be to ask them or take the advice of the above comments. For the best estimate (without pictures to see the condition or any extras) I can give you id say the set of Starflight 1/2 might be your most valuable at $20-25 for the two of them. I don't collect a lot of game software though so consider my estimate carefully.

EDIT: Just looked at the date of the original post :p well hopefully all went well with the sale.

Back