• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

VAX6000 power

stargeezer

Experienced Member
Finally have the time to put together my basket case VAX6000. Curious if anybody successfully run one of these on single phase. Its been years but I remember running an 11/780 on single phase without a problem. Looking for spare boards and parts as well.

Should be able to easily modify it for single phase use. The incoming 208V 3 phase feeds a 3-phase thyristor bridge controlled rectifier that produces the 300v for the regulators.

Should be able to easily modify it for single phase use. The incoming 208V 3 phase feeds a 3-phase thyristor bridge controlled rectifier that produces the 300v for the regulators.
Old thread, but I just got my hands on a 6310 and the PSU went poof.
Do you by any chance have any documents that covers the H7206 like schematics?

Did you get your system up and running?

BR
/t

Schematics for the H7206 and H7215 (but not the H7214) are in the VAX 6400 engineering drawings.

I am running a VAX 6440 from a single phase supply. Well, I suppose it's a VAX 6430 now as one of the CPUs stopped working recently.

Schematics for the H7206 and H7215 (but not the H7214) are in the VAX 6400 engineering drawings.

I am running a VAX 6440 from a single phase supply. Well, I suppose it's a VAX 6430 now as one of the CPUs stopped working recently.
Excellent, thank you very much!
Do you mind sharing how you did the one phase setup? I have 3-phase but obviously it would be easier to run the thing on one phase.

And sorry for your loss...

I used a slightly different approach to some of the guides online. Here is my approach for running a VAX 6000 on single phase in the UK.

Inside the H405 power input box I have disconnected two of the outputs from the main contactor (yellow and brown wire) such that only one phase makes it through to the transformer.

On the input side of the H405 I connect all 3 phases to the single phase live (paralleled) and neutral to neutral. By doing this it means that the sockets on the back of the H405 can still be used.

The H7206 expects 208V phase-to-phase on it's input. This goes straight into a rectifier to generate the 300V DC needed by the power supplies. As such you can get away with feeding 208V between any 2 of the 3 phase connections. The guides that I read online said that the 208V is pretty close to the 220V available in Europe and given that the rectifier is thyristor controlled it will regulate to still provide 300V DC. I am based in the UK though and here I get more like 247V on the mains supply. I wasn't sure how far I could push the regulation within the H7206 without damaging something so I decided to make use of the transformer.

The transformer has two primary side connections, 415V for UK and 380V for Europe. By using one of the windings as an auto-transformer I can feed 240V single phase into the 415V input (L1 to N) and get about 220V from the 380V input (L1 to N). I then feed this 220V into the H7206. The secondary side of the transformer is not used.

Back