• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vc bbs!

Thought about it yes ... But it is an insane amount of work.

Just to give you an idea. I started mTCP with the intent of having a stand-alone telnet BBS program for it. I needed basic applications to test the TCP/IP part so that is how Netcat, IRCjr, Telnet and FTP came along. Having the applications out there gave me a lot of experience and enabled me to do a lot of testing with a wide audience. The testing was especially good with the FTP server, which was the first of the applications to have to deal with multiple connected users at the same time.

The telnet BBS was supposed to be done for the 25th anniversary of the PCjr in 2008. I estimate I am six years behind now. ; - 0 And that is for a standalone piece of software. I would not bother trying to integrate it with forum software; the formatting of posts becomes a real hassle.

A reasonably sized later model desktop PC running Linux probably could be used to do it much faster using scripting languages. It is easier when you do not have re-invent every wheel, which is a problem you run into when doing network applications on DOS like I am.

Use IRCjr (or your favorite other DOS IRC client) and enjoy chatting with your fellow VC'ers. Use Telnet to hit the BBS systems that are telnet enabled; my Telnet even has X and Ymodem data transfers in it so you can download using old-school methods. That should satisfy some of your craving.

What might be more realistic would be to have a "BBS day" where everyone capable of hosting a real dial up modem BBS do so over a specific day and time. What percentage of us here still has a phone line? I don't!

Back