• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

VCF East October 2023 Swap Meet

Dj Mike

Anyone here going besides me ? I would love to meet new people. I’m an Apple (Apple 2 & Macintosh & Atari user )

Sorry Mike. Did not see your post.

Ill be there. (y)

I hope the weather is fair.

@ajacocks Will there be a free section again this weekend?
I hope there is a free section… I’ll definitely there. Looking forward to meeting new people and finding a few things. The lady in my gave me strict orders on how much I can bri g home. She has begun a policy where for every machine I bring home she can get another cat or crafting supply haul . Lol

I’ll be there early . Good to meet your acquaintance. I’ll have a while Chrysler minivan,

I can’t believe they charged $5 to attend an open air swap meet in a parking lot this year. What a rip off. This will be my last VCF swap meet.

That was an absolute blast, thanks so much for all the hard working volunteers who made it happen, and thanks to all of y'all for lugging your gear out to sell. I found some great deals, saw some cool gear, and talked with lots of interesting folks. A total bargain at $5 (and thanks to the concession stand folks who keep us early risers in coffee & bagels!).
I shot some pics on a crusty old Sony Mavica (that takes floppy discs), and I was surprised to see I wasn't the only one shooting on an odd-ball medium. Here's a few (hope it's OK to post here) There was another gent who was also shooting floppy, and if he sees this, please post the pic you took of me :)
My haul:
- PDP11/03 🤘
- Sparcstation 5 (sold non-working for cheap, but fired right up!)
- Sparc Ultra 5
- A wacky 80's video titler (for when I start a local cable access station)

For reals, that was a hoot.

Cheers,
Paul C

Attachments

• MVC-0034S.JPG
    MVC-0034S.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 14
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 14
  • MVC-061S.JPG
    MVC-061S.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 16
  • MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 14
  • MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    221.8 KB · Views: 14
  • MVC-0014S.JPG
    MVC-0014S.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 14
  • MVC-0026S.JPG
    MVC-0026S.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 12
they really shouldn't charge attendees admission. They're just getting greedy. Charge a bit more for vendor tables.

I went to 2 of these. The indoor show was a mess imho. The outdoor venue makes a whole lot more sense. Hamfests are nearly always outdoors.

Ok if you want to have contstuctive criticism say something like this:

"I think we need to limit what the vendors sell to vintage computer or radio items MOSTLY just so it doesnt become a giant outdoor tag sale. There were some folks selling ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING BUT vintage computers. I can see that becoming an issue down the road if it is swamped by just anyone trying to sell wares. A table of hemp rope wallets next to the table selling old vinyl records, next to the lady who makes her own staind glass.. You get my drift. Id pay the $5.00 gladly to keep it vintage tech only.

The $5.00.. I have no problem paying. My wife paid too and shes not buying anything.. so what. I support these functions.

They started out not charging and seemingly had successful results. This is supposed to be about promoting the hobby, not chaching.

They can restrict what gets sold there. A guy had a boatload of 5150/5160 motherboards amongst other things. And he sold a small 3d printer. I can't imagine that being a problem for anyone. But it's about vintage (a nebulous term) computer equipment. If a stupid lady shows up with staines glass, kick her to the curb. What, they're charging admission and now have all these ne'er do wells show up? The pattern suggests if they charged $10 per attendee people will be offering colonoscopies and fortune telling.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the first time they charged for a swap meet (or if they did it at the summer one the parking lot wasn’t blocked off and everyone walked in for free after coming in from the back of the lot regardless).

I don’t remember paying a cover charge to get into Shop Rite earlier. Target has never charged me for the privilege of spending money there.

It’s a public parking lot. If I do return to a future parking lot swap meet I may just park across the street, walk over, and skip the cover fee.

I've been paying a nominal cover charge at Hamfests for the last 30 years. These are small amateur clubs with operating expenses, and I've always been happy to contribute the paltry sum they're asking for admission.
I was hoping this thread would be a place for people to share their experiences and talk about what they scored, but I guess the whiners won.
lol comparing this to Target... :rolleyes:

I've been paying a nominal cover charge at Hamfests for the last 30 years. These are small amateur clubs with operating expenses, and I've always been happy to contribute the paltry sum they're asking for admission.
I was hoping this thread would be a place for people to share their experiences and talk about what they scored, but I guess the whiners won.
lol comparing this to Target... :rolleyes:
It's not about whining. And it's not a hamfest. It's just for the 20 years of it's history MARCH/vcfed a) has had very few swapmeets. And b) hadn't started charging until about a year ago. Why all of a sudden? And if 500 people show up, where does the money go? It has nothing to do with operating costs.

I've been to 2 of these. The first 1, outdoors, was pretty nice. By the 2nd 1, which was indoors, everything seemed way more about the chaching. It's what - a swapmeet. It doesn't mean you can't sell stuff, not at all. And people are at liberty to ask whatever they want. But when the sale loses sight of it's original mission, I'm gone. And I haven't gone in a while anyway.

Is that constructive enough? Does everyone approve.

Sadly I couldn‘t make the event today. I have never been to one and this year was my first VCF East so new back into these machines.

I would love to see people’s photos / videos!

while I appreciate people’s comments about the entry fee that is such a minimal cause and a great donation the the event as there has to be costs to hold these. This cost would be such in the noise when I do go it won’t be A big deal. My costs would be: hotel, tolls up 95, fuel, food, etc. along with a 4-5 hour drive. While I understand everyone’s situation is different have positive or more constructive comments are more helpful. Other suggestions, etc.

i really like the vintage computer world and the content that has been coming out. being welcoming to new folks into it is a must as it’s an awesome hobby. We each find a niche in it. For me it’s memories of my Amigas from growing up as a kid. Of course I am now just a larger kid with a much better income,

to the positive!

What are some things you found that you are loving and why?

I would love to read your stories to what made you get them and even what you plan to do with them!

80% of my stuff sold within the first three hours and I couldn't believe it. My parking spot neighbor also ended up having sunscreen and gave that to me because I forgot mine at home, and the sun being a deadly laser turned me into a lobster back in June, something I didn't want to experience again given how hot it was going to be and the UV index yesterday being what it was.

But, someone ended up buying a Pioneer LD-V2000 laserdisc player from me (one of the commercial/industrial units with the serial port on the back) plus a handful of movies... They handed me money and I was told they'd be back later to pick it up, and just never came back. it's been leaving a sour taste in my mouth ever since, especially since I waited there until the very end of the event and they never returned. I even stayed at the workshop until 6:30 or so helping with a recapping job to see if someone would show up or contact vcfed about it but no dice.

As far as the item restrictions are concerned: This was my third time selling stuff at the swap. It shouldn't be limited to just vintage tech, more recent tech is also an okay thing. This is why it's a "Technology" swapmeet and not an anything-goes swapmeet. I didn't see anyone selling a coin collection or the one lady that always seems to have a tub of nearly-expired K-Cups at every flea market... most if not all of the stuff I saw was tech and tech-related items. Back in June I ended up scoring a really nice deal near the end of the event on a first-gen Ryzen-powered Lenovo laptop for $45 with adapter. I haven't really touched it since then as I'm keeping it around for a spare machine for when I travel, but having it around was definitely something I couldn't do if it wasn't available for purchase there given they go for so much more on fleabay or that jungle site. Someone else picked one up straight after because they were looking for a laptop to replace theirs and it worked out great in the end. off-lease computers are still technology and fit into that category and in my book, are always welcome.

On the subject of the entry fee for the public: VCFed doesn't own that parking lot. I don't even think InfoAge owns it, I believe it's owned by the Brookdale college campus. VCFed isn't using the parking lot for free, nor were the porta-johns that were on site free in any amount. There's a cost to this. Also realize that this event isn't really a cash grab for VCFed, they're a nonprofit, and nonprofits have operational costs like any other organization. Nor is VCF East a cash-grab, even after what I suspect was record-breaking turnout this past year due to the youtuber presence. A lot of people working for VCFed are volunteers. There's also significant costs renting out the museum buildings for that event every year, it's not free space in the middle of the Bingo board to do with as one pleases. $5 at the entrance to get into the lot to look around and buy something cool doesn't seem like a bad thing to me, and this is again how many other places do it to keep everything operating and make sure more events like this can happen and run smoothly.

All in all, I had a blast yesterday at the swap, and I'm grateful for the ability to sell off stuff I don't need on a bigger scale than what I could do with other means online.

But, someone ended up buying a Pioneer LD-V2000 laserdisc player from me (one of the commercial/industrial units with the serial port on the back) plus a handful of movies... They handed me money and I was told they'd be back later to pick it up, and just never came back. it's been leaving a sour taste in my mouth ever since, especially since I waited there until the very end of the event and they never returned. I even stayed at the workshop until 6:30 or so helping with a recapping job to see if someone would show up or contact vcfed about it but no dice.
Re: on this, the person that bought it off me has been identified and I'm working on getting in contact with them. I feel like a weight is off my shoulders.

Back