• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Venix/386 Now on Internet Archive

zombienerd

Veteran Member
I found a complete functional copy of Venix/386 - and have successfully imaged the disks and uploaded to the archive. I could not find any other archives of this Unix anywhere, so I might have brought this one back from the dead!

I have also managed to install it and get a functional system on a 386DX33 with 8mb ram.

The OS seems to require 8mb, as installs under 8mb failed.

This is based on SystemV v3 - so some SystemV software might work. I attempted to get the SystemV build tools installed to try to compile some C code, but ran into issues with filesystems, as Venix can only read SystemV / Xenix / 2k / Spell filesystems, and I don't have a 720k drive to write the images I found to floppy to try to install. Using 1.44mb drive didn't seem to work properly, but I'm sure with more thought I could get that to work.

If anyone else gives it a shot, please do post your results here!

https://archive.org/details/venix-386

Does it run on VirtualBox? Did it have ethernet support?
There is a pair of disks labeled "Basic networking" included. I never tried to get it going

One person left a review on the archive stating "I was able to install Venix/386 into mame with the at386 machine and also the PCem emulator." No idea on Virtualbox.

I managed to get Xenix 286 running in a VM. I launh it from time to time just to play Rogue and Robots. I pulled the disk images from the archive.org site too.

Back