• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

VIC-20 2 Prong Power Supply

robert_sissco

Experienced Member
So, I have a question. I recently got a PET Style VIC-20 which uses the older 2-prong 9v AC power supplies.

Now, I know that the power supply is just a simple 9v transformer in a box with 120v in and 9v out.

The power supply I purchased off of eBay was listed as untested, so, before I connect it to my VIC-20, I busted out the multimeter, and the output I am getting is 11.8v, and mind you this is without a load on it.

Is this a safe value and could I feel confidant on using this PSU with the VIC-20, or am I likely out $17?

Hi Robert.

I think you're good here. I have a two prong VIC too, and got a similar reading last time I checked. Like you said, without load the voltage will be higher. Also, those 2 prong power supplies are not like their later DIN cousins, much more reliable.

Hi Robert.

I think you're good here. I have a two prong VIC too, and got a similar reading last time I checked. Like you said, without load the voltage will be higher. Also, those 2 prong power supplies are not like their later DIN cousins, much more reliable.
Yep, I know it is the 5v regulator in the DIN connector power supplies that like to murder Commodore machines, I just wanted to make sure that 3v over the expected 9v when there was no load on it wouldn't cook the chips. Thanks for the verification, and it did boot right up when I plugged it in and turned it on.

Back