• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

VIC-20 Video Malfunction (Character and Color Scrambling)

BitFracture

Hello,
I recently acquired a second VIC-20 machine that wouldn't power on due to the 5V half of the power switch not working. Once I fixed this, my graphics were colourful and garbled (compared below with my working VIC-20.)
vic20-malfunction-1.jpgvic20-malfunction-2.jpgvic20-malfunction-3.jpgvic20-malfunction-4.jpg

I read into this document a bit:
http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/vic20/v20diag.txt

It seems that it may be caused by UB9 (M53202P), "Partial failure can produce missing color or incorrect colors, slight or severe tearing of picture or diagonal lines" or UC2 (74LS138), "Screen character colors incorrect (scrambled)."

My question for y'all: have any of you experienced similar problems before? If so, how did you go about fixing them? I am hoping to gain some insight from others before I start buying chips, especially since neither of the descriptions above fits my exact problem very well.

Thanks

Sorry for bumping my own post, but I am pretty lost if I don't get some help. If anyone has any information about this problem I would really appreciate if you could help me out. I am rather new to diagnosing Vic 20 problems.

Thanks

Back