• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Video via EasyCAP to USB

HansTRS

I recently purchased an EasyCAP to use my TRS-80 Model 1 on a notebook or tablet. Unfortunately without success so far. Has anyone gotten this to work?
810533455_max.jpg

Since I already had a cheap HDMI to USB capture device, I've taken to using a cheap AV2HDMI module to convert my various composite-out devices to HDMI to use with that known working device. I can then just use the windows 'Camera' app to treat it as a webcam, or I can use it as an input with OBS to stream to friends. It does end up being more expensive than just an EasyCap device, but I needed HDMI capture for a different project anyway

I do have one of those EasyCap devices, but I've never had good luck with it. It used to work on one desktop, but not the other, and now I can't get it to work consistently at all.

If it helps any this is the AV2HDMI device I'm currently using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RX69KR8
And this is the HDMI capture device: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B091NX27S8

I recently tried to do some video capture (from an old VHS tape rather than a Model I, but anyway) for the first time in years. I had a couple of old capture devices similar to the OP's, and I couldn't get a capture worth a damn from either of them. (They DID work back when I bought them.) It was particularly frustrating since I got a perfect picture on the TV, with the same source tape and VCR. So, I ended up putting my phone on a tripod and pointing it at the TV. :eek:

Here's one guy's advice (similar to Kehvarl's):

@Kehvarl I have such a cheap AV2HDMI adapter and it produces an image on an HDMI monitor. Unfortunately, the image cuts out every few seconds and the monitor reports "no signal".

@tweelui Unfortunately, DScaler gives an error message on my WIndows 11 notebook so I cannot test it.

With EasyCAP I now have an image using the free Android app "USB Camera". Unfortunately, the image is very unstable and not usable.

Back