• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage Computer Club of South Africa

floyd20183

Hi there,

I am trying to get a vintage computing group together in Johannesburg (Gauteng) , South Africa. The aim is to cover vintage computers (pre 1990), software and games consoles of a similar age. If anyone is interested please let me know. The contact information can be found in www.oldcomputers.co.za

Last edited:
Hi Floyd,

Good luck with taking a lead in getting a vintage community going in South Africa. I'm attempting a similar thing with my own website (http://www.classic-computers.org.nz) here in New Zealand.

My interest in vintage computing generally stemmed from my original machine, an EACA TRS-80 Model 1 clone (see http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/system-80/) .

I've done a lot of research on the origins of this machine. One dead end I've run into is the fate of these computers in South Africa where (apparently) they were marketed as the TRZ-80. Have you ever heard of this model? It would have been sold between 1980 and 1983. If you haven't come across it, I'd be grateful if you could keep your ears open as you explore the 1980's vintage computer market in your country. I would love to document a little of it's history there. In particular, the firm who sold it in SA, how well it sold (or how well it didn't sell), any local third-party add ons and if any magazines ever arose to support it.

If anyone else reading this knows anything, I'd also like to hear from them.

Cheers

Tezza

For those South African members of the forum the 1st social get together of the Vintage Computer Group of South Africa will hopefully be held on Saturday the 3rd of July 2010 on the Westrand. Please PM me if you are interested.

For those interested, the first social meeting of the Vintage Computing Group of South Africa went well and the group now has a website on www.vcgsa.co.za. The website still requires more content and member pics but we will hopefully get there in the weeks to come.

Last edited:
For those interested the 2nd meeting of the Vintage Computer Group of South Africa which was due to be held on the 2nd of October has now be rescheduled for the 6th of November. The website address is www.vcgsa.co.za

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
What can I say :) BTW thanks for the link on Gumtree. I have found many a gem there over the years including my IBM System/34 of all things. Come to think of it ... two of the groups members joined as a result of adverts on Gumtree. I actually have the same unit as listed along with monitor and keyboard but will pass the link around the groups mailing list.

What can I say :) BTW thanks for the link on Gumtree. I have found many a gem there over the years including my IBM System/34 of all things. Come to think of it ... two of the groups members joined as a result of adverts on Gumtree. I actually have the same unit as listed along with monitor and keyboard but will pass the link around the groups mailing list.

Aangename kennis meneer! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
...I actually have the same unit as listed along with monitor and keyboard but will pass the link around the groups mailing list.

Just be aware that the specifications on the harddrives are original (40, 80, 120, and 160Mb capacities were added later to go alongside the original 30 and 60Mb) and slightly wrong (the 30Mb unit is also DBA ESDI, only the 20Mb paired with the 'non-Z' Model 50 was MFM)...

Back