• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage Computer to modern VGA help

shift838

So I have a vintage computer (Myarc Geneve 9640) which outputs RGB with composite sync.

I have found a Dell 1912HF LCD that supports the required 15kHz requirements for it's VGA. I have also tested it with a 15kHz tester and it works in all modes.

I am having issues trying to get it to work.

I have seen the boot screen once for about 1 second then the monitor states VGA cable is not connected.

Thie Geneve pinouts are:

Pin 1 = 12v
Pin 2 = Ground
Pin 3 = Audio
Pin 4 = composite video only
Pin 5 = Red
Pin 6 = Green
Pin 7 = Blue
Pin 8 = Composite Sync

I have taken the R,G,B and wired to the VGA Connector as:

Pin 1 = Red
Pin 2 = Green
Pin 3 = Blue

Taken the ground from the Geneve and wired it to the respective grounds on the VGA connector for the Dell 1912HF as shown in the manual starting on page 5:
https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/...rt_display/dell-e1912h_user's guide_en-us.pdf

I have then taken the Geneve CSync and attached it to Pin #13 of the VGA which is Horizontal-Sync

The monitor engages but then quickly shows VGA cable not connected.

I have even tried to use the LM1881 sync separator IC with the standard schematic shown in the datasheet. With the same results as well.

Even went so far to try the Sync on Green option with use of the LM1881 with the same results.

Using a direct wire to wire cable adding a 75Ω resistor to the CSYNC line produces the same results as well.

Anyone have any suggestions?

What about inverting horizontal and/or vertical sync? Another thing that comes to my mind: pulse length.
Does the composite work on a monitor or TV? Then what about a Composite/CGA-to-VGA converter?

Back