• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage Game Consoles - new book on computers, consoles, handhelds

The color paperback is widely available now, but it looks like the ebook version and Look Inside feature won't be active until some time next week. I'll post again when that's all in place.

Also no 3DO...

These three "Generations" appear to be different than the "Generations" I normally read about.

Also no 3DO...

These three "Generations" appear to be different than the "Generations" I normally read about.

Of course there's no 3DO, though it is mentioned in passing. If it was the top 30 game playing platforms, rather than the top 20, it would definitely have made it in. And yes, these generations are self contained in the book. Any classification system is more or less arbitrary, but this one makes sense in the context of the book. Each generation has opening text talking about the systems in that era, setting the scene/context.

Also no 3DO...

All of the CD "infotainment" systems (3DO, CDi, CDTV, VIS) never sold well enough to make a dent in the market for traditional video game consoles. The 3DO was the most successful and most gaming-oriented of all of them, but even then, it never had any more than a niche following.

Here are some photos of the book:

Attachments

• DSC_0801.jpg
    DSC_0801.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0802.jpg
    DSC_0802.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0810.jpg
    DSC_0810.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0811.jpg