• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage raster fonts on modern systems/websites

I wasn't aiming for perfect 1:1 CGA if for no other reason that the BS short line-heights that compromise legibility disastrously.

You mean aside from all the other things you deliberately did to compromise legibility?

I don't get what the point is.

I tried this on my HP Mini 5101 netbook (Windows XP running on an Atom N280 @ 1.66 GHz). First in IE 8 where it looked like a website from the late ´90s (which might sound like criticism but it's not, it still looks way better than most modern websites IMO). Then I tried it in FF ESR 52.2.0 and...

• having the mask enabled makes it slightly too dark making it hard to read unless you're in a darkened room (which I usually am so this is not a problem for me personally).
  • the CRT-like flickering effect (which is really cool btw), maxes the CPU usage so would not be acceptable for real world usage unless there's a way to disable it.
  • the biggest problem with readability is the font. It's simply too "bold".

Also, I'm surprised to see that despite your numerous rants on here about bloated websites, you're not really size-optimizing your PNG-files. I recommend using PNGOUT.

Back