• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Viruses on a C-64?

There might be some trojans, but I doubt you'll encounter true viruses on the C64. Theoretically it would work, a virus could reside into the 2K RAM on the floppy drive but as far as I remember, I've never seen or heard about it. The Amiga is another matter though.

I believe there were a few viruses for the C-64. Perhaps a net search would help in finding some.

On a side note, I did write a trojan that I embedded into someone's floppy which would seemingly write random garbage to the directory. Made it difficult to see what was on the disk :D

Do you mean the trojan filled up unused directory entries, or overwrote existing ones, possibly even damaging the link pointer to the first sector?

It would create a new file everytime the program was run. It would write random garbage as the filename which included the graphic characters, color changes, clear screen, home, RVS ON, etc. It made reading the directory a real pain, plus it would slowly fill up the floppy.

I embedded it into a program my "friend" was running. You wouldn't even be able to see the code if you did a basic program listing. You could only find it if you knew where it was located, and even then I did my best to hide it.

I even made a "cleanup" utility to remove the garbage entries, but I didn't give that to him :twisted:

I basically wrote it as revenge because he took my home made address filer and made fake entries which I had to go through and delete.

Back