• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

VMS 4.x binaries

retrobits

Experienced Member
Hi there,

I've recently added a full set of VMS 4.4 manuals into my collection. The books are in really good shape.

This got me thinking that it might be fun to run a 4.x version in an emulator. It took quite a bit of searching for specifics of the OpenVMS Hobbyist terms and conditions, but it appears that the license permits you to run any version of VMS. However, only the newest versions are available for download.

Does anyone have insight on these two questions:

- Is it true that under the OpenVMS Hobbyist agreement, any version of VMS is applicable, and
- If so, where might one find an old 4.x version of VMS?

Thanks!

- Earl

I am also interested in obtaining VMS 3.x or VMS 4.x for my new VAX-11/730, which is due to arrive in about a week. I am interested in running it as if it was late 1986, when I got my first exposure to VAXen. I plan to try running 4.3BSD on it, too.

I have some tape images now for VMS 4.4. They are 20 megabyte images. Can anyone help me figure out what virtual tape device should be used in the emulator to read/boot from these tapes?

Have done some Googling on this, but admittedly I'm a newbie, and flailing a bit.

Thanks!

- Earl

What VMS 4.4 tape images do you have?

One of the images I found is this one: BB-BT05C-BE_VMS4.4.tap.gz (10,288,071 bytes)

I haven't tried to do anything with that one myself yet.

Back