• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

VT100 flat screen conversion

kingchops

Experienced Member
A contact of mine has a VT100 terminal with a working motherboard, PSU and keyboard but no CRT and video driver board. I'm thinking of buying it and installing a small flat panel inside the case. I could then use the video composite out on the motherboard to feed the display. I'm also thinking of installing a Raspberry Pi in it as a project and running a DEC emulator.

This would be quite easy to do, but the problem is finding a suitably sized 4:3 lcd display. The CRT on the VT100 is around 12". Does anyone know of a source of suitably sized lcd monitors/composite tv's that could be used for this?

Over the weekend I plugged my working VT100 into an external composite monitor to see how well it works and it works really well.

The Sharp Aquos 13" LCD TV should do the trick and you won't have to de-case it since it doesn't have the speakers on the sides.
They seem to be pricey in Australia (did a quick ebay.com.au check).

The Sharp Aquos 13" LCD TV should do the trick and you won't have to de-case it since it doesn't have the speakers on the sides.
They seem to be pricey in Australia (did a quick ebay.com.au check).

Thanks, that's certainly the right type of screen I'm looking for. There seems to be a few different models around with speakers in various locations.

Back