• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: 486 VLB Motherboard

allCAPPS

Experienced Member
So I'm tired of banging my head on the table trying to get my old 486 board to work.

I'm in the market for a working 486 VLB board and will to pay a fair price for it. I just need the board. I have several CPUs, IO board, AT PSU and case. Message me if you have a mobo you want to sell. Thanks!

I have the one out of my Dolch that I replaced. As far as I know it all works fine except the onboard IDE, which was a dealbreaker for me, being in a portable

It's standard baby AT, Dolch machines use standard motherboards even though not much else is standard! It had a barrel battery that started leaking and it had some slight corrosion but I desoldered it (I assume that's why the IDE doesn't work, a chip was loose inside). It does have an external battery connector though.

Last edited:
I've got a few 486 machines sitting in the corner. I'll take a look at them in an hour or so and I'll let you know if I have a working one available.

It's standard baby AT, Dolch machines use standard motherboards even though not much else is standard! It had a barrel battery that started leaking and it had some slight corrosion but I desoldered it (I assume that's why the IDE doesn't work, a chip was loose inside). It does have an external battery connector though.

I didn't know they used baby AT. Too bad it has the damage. Otherwise I'd take you up on that.

How many VLB slots are you requiring for a 486 board? I have a Soyo SY-4SAW2 board (need to get the BIOS chip back to normal since the patched BIOS crashes the system) that has 1 VLB slot, 4 ISA slots, and 4 PCI slots with integrated I/O, including a PS/2 mouse 2x4 pin header, which is icing on the cake. It had slight battery leakage, but I removed the battery, repaired the damaged traces (had slight damage, but ended up soldering wires from one end to the other so that the repairs are made and works without issues), and installed a CR2032 battery holder with the diode D2 removed (charging circuit for the NiCd battery, which is not needed for the CR2032 battery).

Another one I have is a PC Chips M912 V1.7 with real L2 cache (256KB, 7 ISA slots, 3 VLB slots and can take a CPU from 25MHz FSB to 50MHz FSB and the VLB slots can be changed from 0WS (<=33 MHz) to 1WS (>33MHz). Will include the manual for the motherboard as a reference guide for setting the CPU speed and other factors. Can take up to 1MB L2 cache (will include the 512KB L2 cache upgrade chips since I never used them) and 64MB SIMM-72 (up to 2 sticks) or SIMM-30 (2 banks of 4 slots) FPM between 60ns to 80ns. Has the Award BIOS from 1995 (Y2K bug fixed) and will include the original AMI WinBIOS chip as well in case you'd like to use that chip. The board was cheap since it had a broken CPU lever arm and swapped the parts around from a dead Socket 3 board that lost everything from the battery leakage. Uses a CR2032 battery.

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep in in mind RadRacer203.

retro-pc_user - I have some boards you might be able to repair. I'll message you.

Are you still looking?

I might have a 486-GVT-2 motherboard with 486DX33 and about 8MB RAM. Saying "might" because it's in a fully working system that I may or may not part out (depending on price)

It has 2 VESA slots. Image right now too large to upload.

Back