• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: Exidy Sorcerer BASIC Cartridge

Looks great! You've prompted me to share something I prototyped about 2 years ago, but I've not done much with since. I always liked the RomPac form factor and the concept of re-purposing the cartridges. But I mainly wanted a speedier way to load Sorcerer software, but without any H/W mods. So I prototyped something I dubbed "WizPac", which is basically an Arduino, display and SD card in an 8-track cartridge. That way, you don't need any additional hardware and it keeps the side slot free. It plugs into the parallel port and loads binary files at a speed of approx 38kbaud. So 7 seconds for a 32kb image. Longer term I'm hoping to code it for R/W.

Attachments

• WizPac1.jpg
    WizPac1.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 13
  • WizPac2.jpg
    WizPac2.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 12
  • WizPac3.jpg
    WizPac3.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 12
Looks great! You've prompted me to share something I prototyped about 2 years ago, but I've not done much with since. I always liked the RomPac form factor and the concept of re-purposing the cartridges. But I mainly wanted a speedier way to load Sorcerer software, but without any H/W mods. So I prototyped something I dubbed "WizPac", which is basically an Arduino, display and SD card in an 8-track cartridge. That way, you don't need any additional hardware and it keeps the side slot free. It plugs into the parallel port and loads binary files at a speed of approx 38kbaud. So 7 seconds for a 32kb image. Longer term I'm hoping to code it for R/W.
Wow 7 secondes.... Some of wav used took 15 mins for me at 300 bauds...
Hope you'll publish it one day... I definitly go for one.

It plugs into the parallel port and loads binary files at a speed of approx 38kbaud.
Nice. Similar to what I did using the UART:

What command must you enter to load from the parallel port?

Hi ClausB!

From the Sorcerer monitor, the user types "SE I=P" and then presses the 'Load' button on the Pac. Then a small bootstrap file loads on the Sorcerer and the Arduino does heavy lifting in conjunction with some Z80 code on the Sorcerer. From then on, they do a digital dance.

Back story: in 2018 I designed a system using an old laptop to load Sorcerer files via the parallel port, with a VB-based GUI. The approach worked well (maxing out at 80Kbps) but ultimately I wanted to lose the laptop and get some of my desk space back. I was just getting into Arduino then, and wondered if I could swap the laptop for Arduino and turn the project into something that was still non-invasive, but portable. As an Arduino novice, it was quite a meaty project for me after 'blink' but a great incentive to climb a bit up the learning curve :) I am still learning.

I also had a vague idea about helping other Sorcerer users, who maybe had little hardware experience so might like a plug-and-play solution. Hey, for old-timers, a reason to get the old beauty down from the attic!

I really like your UART approach too. There is something special about thinking outside the box and merging old and new tech to deliver something different and synergistic.

If there is any interest, I'd be happy to continue this conversation but not sure if this 'wanted' forum is the best place? Should I open a new post somewhere? I'm fine whatever - just happy to be part of the community :)

Back