• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

New England Wanted IBM 5154 Monitor

Covers: Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Maine.

thegenerallee86

Experienced Member
I am looking for an IBM 5154 Monitor the EGA on to use with my IBM 5150/5160XT/ and 5170 AT original PCs. Please and Thank You.

They show-up on eBay from time to time, but it will cost you.... a LOT - there's one there right now for well over $1k. I'm sure there's a good number of people here (myself included) looking for an economically priced EGA monitor.

Earlier in the year, I also saw one sell for around $1k, so there's no question people will pay.

Prepare to pay up to 4 figures for a genuine working IBM EGA monitor... does it have to be IBM? You can save some substantial money by going with a clone.

Also, are you sure you need the higher 21.8kHz scan-rate? Most (all?) EGA video cards work perfectly fine with regular CGA monitors when running the lower 15.7kHz scan-rate (and lower resolutions) for DOS games, etc.

-Chris

They show-up on eBay from time to time, but it will cost you.... a LOT - there's one there right now for well over $1k. I'm sure there's a good number of people here (myself included) looking for an economically priced EGA monitor.

Earlier in the year, I also saw one sell for around $1k, so there's no question people will pay.

Prepare to pay up to 4 figures for a genuine working IBM EGA monitor... does it have to be IBM? You can save some substantial money by going with a clone.

Also, are you sure you need the higher 21.8kHz scan-rate? Most (all?) EGA video cards work perfectly fine with regular CGA monitors when running the lower 15.7kHz scan-rate (and lower resolutions) for DOS games, etc.

-Chris
If you look under sold not completed they don't go for more than 300 to 400 USD Here is the page with actually sold listings: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=IBM+5154&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1
I am using a Commodore 1902 Monitor which I know is compatible with CGA but don't think it works with EGA though.

If you look under sold not completed they don't go for more than 300 to 400 USD Here is the page with actually sold listings: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=IBM+5154&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

I am using a Commodore 1902 Monitor which I know is compatible with CGA but don't think it works with EGA though.
On that page with the sold listings, of the 3 listed - none of them are fully working... One has no power, one whines with no picture, and one has a cut-off connector The first one is just a repair service listing...

Again, these sell for very large dollars when in complete and working condition - there's many "vintage gamer" collectors that clamour over them whenever a good one comes up for auction.

CGA monitors are usable on EGA cards with the lower (non-enhanced) 15.7kHz scan-rate - this is done often. You're using the IBM EGA card right? Follow the instructions here to configure it for use with a CGA monitor:

-Chris

Last edited:

-Chris

On that page with the sold listings, of the 3 listed - none of them are fully working... One has no power, one whines with no picture, and one has a cut-off connector The first one is just a repair service listing...

Again, these sell for very large dollars when in complete and working condition - there's many "vintage gamer" collectors that clamour over them whenever a good one comes up for auction.

CGA monitors are usable on EGA cards with the lower (non-enhanced) 15.7kHz scan-rate - this is done often. You're using the IBM EGA card right? Follow the instructions here to configure it for use with a CGA monitor:

-Chris
I bought the one with no connector now I just got to find one for it or how to repair the one it already has?

Reread it, if i was going to pay OVER 200 for a CRT... :p Have seen a nice Sanyo go for under 200 recently, that supported CGA/EGA/VGA and composite.

Personally I get wanting the EGA IBM monitor, but there really isn't anything special about them that is worth the 1000+ dollar asking cost.

Yeah I agree. Getting a multi input RGB/Vga monitor would be far more versatile. I mean EGA is such a niche. There are far more CGA and VGA software out there.

Yeah I agree. Getting a multi input RGB/Vga monitor would be far more versatile. I mean EGA is such a niche. There are far more CGA and VGA software out there.
Though those are just as hard to find as IBM 5154 and I finally bought off ebay that works just needs new Db9 cable because it has been cut off.

I really like the idea of all matching setup, so I get wanting a 5154 for a 5160 or 5170. But I'm also a tightwad. I've got a clone EGA monitor from "Basic Time" that looks close enough for me, for now.

I do have an NEC Mutlisync, but it's in the repair pile, because it acts completely dead. It's also missing the stand unfortunately.

A little over a year ago I went down to the local "Free Geek" and was asking about old CRT. They said that they didn't really know what they were worth, but that they had heard that they were popular among gamers. I explained that might be true, but it couldn't be just any CRT, it needed to be either a pretty high end model, or have a Trinitron tube, or something like that to be worth the big bucks. I also mentioned that the stuff I'd be interested in would probably be beige or white, but probably not just a black Dell VGA CRT, unless it's huge. I mentioned monitors with RCA and 9 pin would be the stuff to look out for. The took me to the back work room and showed me a few they had. I found a multi sync style monitor! It was a CTX CMS-3436. I asked what they wanted for it and they still didn't really know what to price things at. I explained that it's hard to test without a really old computer, but that I'd be willing to pay $40 and take a risk on it, assuming that it powered on. They seemed to be OK with that. I think they may have adjusted their prices a bit since then, in response to the way the market is these days. Any way, I think I got a great deal, since it actually works perfectly, as far as I can tell, and it would be great with a 286 clone, as opposed to an all matching OEM setup from IBM or Compaq (though I may still use it on one of my Deskpros)

541732CC-6E82-4546-986C-960FCFCCCA3F.jpeg310FC005-3672-4C74-B2D1-25C00069CB70.jpeg

Nothing at all. I've got a 5160 and a 5153 and it's great. But it's a fairly recent acquisition. "Back in the day" I had Hercules on an amber crt until I entered the VGA world. I would have killed for CGA back then, because half the games I tried to play didn't work at all, and I didn't know about Chuck's simcga software until just a few years ago.

Grass is always greener. All my friends had VGA and some SVGA while I still had CGA. Thats probably why I got rid of my original 5153 (Kept the 5160). I dont recall. I dont know where it went. I have gotten two since then of course.

I really like the idea of all matching setup, so I get wanting a 5154 for a 5160 or 5170. But I'm also a tightwad. I've got a clone EGA monitor from "Basic Time" that looks close enough for me, for now.

I do have an NEC Mutlisync, but it's in the repair pile, because it acts completely dead. It's also missing the stand unfortunately.

A little over a year ago I went down to the local "Free Geek" and was asking about old CRT. They said that they didn't really know what they were worth, but that they had heard that they were popular among gamers. I explained that might be true, but it couldn't be just any CRT, it needed to be either a pretty high end model, or have a Trinitron tube, or something like that to be worth the big bucks. I also mentioned that the stuff I'd be interested in would probably be beige or white, but probably not just a black Dell VGA CRT, unless it's huge. I mentioned monitors with RCA and 9 pin would be the stuff to look out for. The took me to the back work room and showed me a few they had. I found a multi sync style monitor! It was a CTX CMS-3436. I asked what they wanted for it and they still didn't really know what to price things at. I explained that it's hard to test without a really old computer, but that I'd be willing to pay $40 and take a risk on it, assuming that it powered on. They seemed to be OK with that. I think they may have adjusted their prices a bit since then, in response to the way the market is these days. Any way, I think I got a great deal, since it actually works perfectly, as far as I can tell, and it would be great with a 286 clone, as opposed to an all matching OEM setup from IBM or Compaq (though I may still use it on one of my Deskpros)

View attachment 1248792View attachment 1248793
I need a monitor like that, looks awesome

Back