• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WANTED: IBM Model 5170

Springbok

Experienced Member
I have always wanted one of these in my collection. If anyone has a "reasonably" priced one for sale, please let me know.

The current market on eBay is pretty strange right now. There seems to be a lower supply of IBM PC's (quite a few PS/2's though), and people with complete sets, which are usually something like an XT with a 5153, are trying to ask > $700. Most of the 5150/5160/5170 computers on eBay right now only include the system unit and are, as always, "untested" and in pretty bad condition (rust, dirt, no accessories). These are usually priced somewhere between $100-$200. I haven't seen a 5162 in a month or two (last one on eBay I bought), and there's one complete (extender card/cable included) 5161 going for $800 as well as an extender card for $200 and an incomplete 5161 for $350. The strangest news is that the 5155 is now going for sometimes > $1,000 these days; they used to go for $200-$400. I sold mine recently for $1,350(!), being restored and complete with 640K & V20 upgrades and a hard drive. In general, prices are going up and the average machine condition is going down.

Searching Craigslist / OfferUp / LetGo and so on and driving a bit is a safer bet to source 515* IMO.

I still see plenty of IBM 515* < $150 on eBay regularly based on my eBay auctions thread searches. Some of the obscure models less often of course. 5153s and even 5154s seem to be far more commonly listed than a year ago based on my personal observation (which is not empirical of course). 5151s seem to be scarcer.

Last edited:
I wonder how clones are doing. Might be way cheaper to pick up a Leading Edge Model D, or a no-name clone, for less than IBM.

The rare times I've seen a Leading Edge system (with monitor, keyboard, etc) in decent condition the asking price was north of $500. Pity, it would be nice to have one.

If memory serves, an IBM 5170 (box only) in decent condition runs $300 or more. The cheaper ones are "untested."

Leading Edge PCs can be had for $100 - $150 including CRT and keyboard + shipping. They pop up on eBay pretty regularly.

The strangest news is that the 5155 is now going for sometimes > $1,000 these days; they used to go for $200-$400. I sold mine recently for $1,350(!), being restored and complete with 640K & V20 upgrades and a hard drive.

That is strange. I just looked now and there are two listed at $1999 or best offer (one without the keyboard!) and another at $1595.

I got mine free (I could have had two, but I stupidly said, "I think one is enough"). The 5155 keyboards used to go for $25-30. I bought two at that price (both sellers had the keyboard only, no computer). I think the last 5155 keyboard I saw on eBay went for over $200.

That is strange. I just looked now and there are two listed at $1999 or best offer (one without the keyboard!) and another at $1595.

But it doesn't sell for those crazy prices. A quick search for sold auctions in the USA shows that the average sold price is around $240 which is right in line with a reasonable price for a 5155.

Always look at sold prices for what something worth. A few nut job out there think it's gold they are selling. IMHO price = how much fun it worth.

HUGE difference between listing prices and what it really sells for.

framer

Back