• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Midwest Wanted: IBM PS/2, Model 80 Floppy Drive 1.44mb- Must be working

Covers: North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minesota, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio

johnorun

Experienced Member
I have an IBM PS/2 Model 80 that I'm trying to bring back to life. I just replaced the cmos battery, but at startup i'm getting the Errors 161, 163.
I have read that the IBM Reference Disk needs to be inserted into the floppy drive in order to start the boot process. I have the disk and inserting it makes the floppy drive seek, but no find!
I guess I need to replace the floppy drive (they seem to fail due to age) and see if the reference disk will work.
IF anyone has an IBM 1.44mb floppy drive to sell. please contact me here. I would hate to see this otherwise working Model 80 end up recycled.
(Any other advice on this issue would be appreciate!)

Shame I gave away the drive from my model 70 last year. PLEASE DO NOT THROW IT AWAY. If it comes to that , please contact me, I'll come nab it, and I still have a bunch of the Model 70 stuff, minus the floppy drive.

If you just want to get it running, you can get cables that will allow you to use a regular floppy drive.

Thanks and you are close by.
I forgot to post the part number of this drive--> IBM part # 90X6766.
I prefer to get this drive running, but I removed it (fairly difficult process, btw) and discovered that the top cover plate is attached to the sides by 7 small head Phillips screws, that would not budge with any screw driver. In the process, the screw heads stripped and if I want to open the top, I'll have to drill out all the screw heads.
Is it worth it? It wont be possible to replace any capacitors or make other repair without access to the drive circuit board.
So I guess I'll have to wait until someone offers me one for sale!
Any suggestions are welcome.

Could try getting a dremel and cutting a slot in the heads of the screws for a flathead screwdriver.

Back