• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Midwest Wanted: IBM PS/2 Tower (Either hollow or system broken)

Covers: North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minesota, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio

vyquad

Going to make a sleeper build. Yes i know it may require custom fab. I am seeking a hollowed out or broken system as i will NOT desecrate a working system. Seeking a PS/2 tower of this type, doesnt need to be the exact model but looks like this tower. For quicker responses you can message me on discord @vyquad

Capture.PNG

Attachments

• wetrhg.PNG
    wetrhg.PNG
    209.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Cap2ture.PNG
    Cap2ture.PNG
    167.2 KB · Views: 2
I appreciate your "let's not destroy working kit" disclaimer, but I'm thinking in terms of fabrication, I wonder if you'd have an easier time "cladding" a conventional ATX case with a custom bezel that gave it a PS/2-inspired look, perhaps 3-D printed or assembled from sheet plastic and sandblasted to give the right finish, and given a beige paint job.

If nothing else, fitment will be a nightmare on a real PS/2:

* The Model 60/80 is super-narrow by modern standards-- just 166mm. For comparison, the new ATX tower I'm using is 212mm wide. That's going to severely limit your choices on cooling and larger GPUs. You might not even be able to do a rear-mounted 120mm exhaust fan, or a closed-loop cooler, without big surgery.

* If you want to have optical drives, especially mounted "horizontally" like most PCs, I doubt they'd fit. Design-wise, they're sort of late to the PS/2 era-- I'm not sure there's a proper "standard bezel" for them the way that PS/2 floppy drives have a distinct look. You'd likely have to invent something from whole cloth.

One interesting option is to use a momentary on DPDT switch and set it up so the paddle sits in a "central" position, and pushing one direction closes power, and the other closes the reset switch.

I have a Model 60 case and power supply, but its missing a floppy drive if you are interested.

I appreciate your "let's not destroy working kit" disclaimer, but I'm thinking in terms of fabrication, I wonder if you'd have an easier time "cladding" a conventional ATX case with a custom bezel that gave it a PS/2-inspired look, perhaps 3-D printed or assembled from sheet plastic and sandblasted to give the right finish, and given a beige paint job.

If nothing else, fitment will be a nightmare on a real PS/2:

* The Model 60/80 is super-narrow by modern standards-- just 166mm. For comparison, the new ATX tower I'm using is 212mm wide. That's going to severely limit your choices on cooling and larger GPUs. You might not even be able to do a rear-mounted 120mm exhaust fan, or a closed-loop cooler, without big surgery.

* If you want to have optical drives, especially mounted "horizontally" like most PCs, I doubt they'd fit. Design-wise, they're sort of late to the PS/2 era-- I'm not sure there's a proper "standard bezel" for them the way that PS/2 floppy drives have a distinct look. You'd likely have to invent something from whole cloth.

One interesting option is to use a momentary on DPDT switch and set it up so the paddle sits in a "central" position, and pushing one direction closes power, and the other closes the reset switch.
Oh alright then, good to know. using an RX 6800 so

Should I drag out the case, or you abandoning the idea?
Not entirely. I may use it for something else. Though it will prob be a few weeks before I can buy it. Though just missing those 2 simple things I'm iffy

Back