• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: Original IBM PC or XT with CGA

Scali

Veteran Member
For my democoding, I am looking for an original IBM PC. It needs to be a REAL IBM, since it has to be cycle-exact to other IBM machines in every way. This can be a 5150, 5155 or 5160, as long as it meets the following specs:
- 512-640K memory installed (I think this pretty much rules out the 5150, unless it's very much a tricked-out one)
- Original IBM CGA card (with working composite output) installed

Additionally:
- 3.5" floppy drive and/or working HDD (or CF/SD-solution) would be greatly appreciated
- 220v/50Hz models are preferred, since I live in Europe, and using a 110v/60Hz machine would require an additional transformer
- A working CGA monitor or NTSC composite monitor would be very nice to have as well

If you have any or all of these parts, and are willing to sell/ship to me, let me know.
For now, the actual 5150/5155/5160 is most important. I already have a CGA clone card (ATi Small Wonder), and getting my hands on a real CGA card shouldn't be too difficult either.
Likewise, I have some 3.5" floppy drives that I might be able to install in the machine myself.

While on the topic... an 8-bit compatible VGA card would be nice to have as well, just for kicks.

I have obtained a working IBM 5160 with HDD and 640K memory.

Still looking for these items though:
- Working HDD (either XT-IDE compatible, or with matching 8-bit controller), or CF/SD-solution
- A working CGA monitor or NTSC composite monitor
- 8-bit compatible VGA card
- 5.25" DD disk drives
- 3.5" DD or HD drive compatible with Commodore PC10/20-III (original Commodore kits are known as PC-910 or PC-915. More info on these kits would also be welcome... Eg which drives were used and what jumper settings were required, and any special cables?)

I have the following:

• Seagate ST-238R 33MB drive with a Western Digital 1002-27X controller (both RLL)

• Magnavox Computer Monitor 80, Model BM7652 (green) 12" Composite monitor w/manual

• OCTEK EVGA-16, 16-bit VGA card w/CHIPS® (Chips and Technologies) chipset, with Setup/Drivers/Utility disk; 8-bit compatible (works fine in my 5160)

• Panasonic JU-455 360K floppy drive

Too bad you're not in walking distance from me. :)

Too bad you're not in walking distance from me. :)

Indeed, these small items may be too costly to ship... not to mention too fragile. Otherwise I'd probably be interested in the HDD.
I think I have found a way around my need for the 5.25" floppy drive.
The VGA card sounds interesting. How much would you want for that, incl shipping?

I think just the shipping for the VGA card runs ~ $20. However I think it would be ~ $45 for both the card and the ST-238R. I've shipped this drive before (several times) and it's always arrived OK.

Okay, small update... I have an IBM 5160 with working HDD and original IBM CGA card, so that part is covered.
I also managed to get the HDD in the PC20-III working, and I have a nulmodem solution to transfer data, so I no longer need to rely on 5.25" floppies.
And I managed to score a working 8-bit Paradise VGA card.

I am still looking for this:
- XT-IDE/CF/SD-solution for 8-bit ISA
- A working CGA monitor or NTSC composite monitor (220v/50Hz)
- 3.5" DD or HD drive compatible with Commodore PC10/20-III (original Commodore kits are known as PC-910 or PC-915. More info on these kits would also be welcome... Eg which drives were used and what jumper settings were required, and any special cables?)

I got a Paradise PVGA1A 8-bit ISA card.
This card works in the IBM PC/XT 5160. I don't think that was commonly known yet, so I thought I'd mention it here.

Back