• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted - terminals - UK (Scotland) area

iainmaoileoin

Experienced Member
I am looking for a few RS232 type terminals - not particularly worried if they are vintage or vetran/old. These are to interface to PDP11s of various sorts - when I dont want to demo with my teletypes. I would prefer not to use dip/minicom on a PC.

Try to get hold of an IBM 3153 Infowindow II, or later, similar model. Multiple emulations, 2 ports/sessions (Ctrl+Enter switching), multi-page scroll-back. I can't offer you mine, but I love it. :D

Try to get hold of an IBM 3153 Infowindow II, or later, similar model. Multiple emulations, 2 ports/sessions (Ctrl+Enter switching), multi-page scroll-back. I can't offer you mine, but I love it. :D
I have a bunch of machines - 70s/80s. I use teletypes on the old ones but they are getting hard to keep in supplies. So I recon a wee converter and some rs232 terminals would be the next best thing. I had not considered multi-port/session kit. Will the IBMs not be hellish expensive?

Some of the DEC VT4xx and VT5xx series come with multiple ports as well, and with a session switch....

... also some of the thin client PCs have serial ports.

I have a bunch of machines - 70s/80s. I use teletypes on the old ones but they are getting hard to keep in supplies. So I recon a wee converter and some rs232 terminals would be the next best thing. I had not considered multi-port/session kit. Will the IBMs not be hellish expensive?

Possibly expensive-ish, the RS/6000 crowd will often be on them like flies. But on a good day... you could be lucky. I was only offering a suggestion.

Dave's knowledge of the DEC terminals exceeds mine in the extreme.

Possibly expensive-ish, the RS/6000 crowd will often be on them like flies. But on a good day... you could be lucky. I was only offering a suggestion.

Dave's knowledge of the DEC terminals exceeds mine in the extreme.

I didn't know anything until I bought some! I found the VT520 does three sessions and the VT420 does two. I also think some of the DEC DECServers will let you use some of the ports for serial host sessions.
You may be able to do the same on some of the Cisco (or other brand) terminal servers, like this one:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333404094694

I haven't checked the exact spec but most seem to support reverse telnet, where you telnet into the server and the port connects to a host....
.... there are also some solutions out there using an Arduino, and somewhere there is a TEK4010 which I think uses a Raspberry PI, but you can run PDP11 graphics programs on it...

Unaware of that feature on the 420/520 that would be very useful. Probably cheaper than the IBM solution, but both were off my radar - so thanks for the suggestions.
I am trying to get kit that is not an emulator running on a laptop. IMHO terminals set the scene for the older kit.

Unaware of that feature on the 420/520 that would be very useful. Probably cheaper than the IBM solution, but both were off my radar - so thanks for the suggestions.
I am trying to get kit that is not an emulator running on a laptop. IMHO terminals set the scene for the older kit.

No, terminal emulators on laptops don't really cut it, but I think something like the Arduino producing VGA and using a real DEC keyboard works fine. Some of the thin clients can be set up so that the a terminal launches on startup and runs full screen. I will check things out when I get home.

OK, I have a number of wee arduino projects for “radar sumulators” on LCD screens (different project/different world). I guess that they are better than the PIs, since the RS232 is there from the word go? The trick of using a click/clack keyboard also helps get the vintage ;-) More ideas. Thanks.

OK, I have a number of wee arduino projects for “radar sumulators” on LCD screens (different project/different world). I guess that they are better than the PIs, since the RS232 is there from the word go? The trick of using a click/clack keyboard also helps get the vintage ;-) More ideas. Thanks.

I think both PI and Arduino have ports at either 3.3 or 5v so you list need level converter. I though Arduino was closer to the "simple terminal" you desire...

I think both PI and Arduino have ports at either 3.3 or 5v so you list need level converter. I though Arduino was closer to the "simple terminal" you desire...

Yes, sorry I was thinking of a "beagle". Seems to work out the box for rs232.

Back