• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: working 486 system

commodorejohn

Veteran Member
I've been trying to get a decent 486 build going for years. I have a wide variety of parts on hand, but for some reason I've never, ever been able to get a 486 board to POST, even after checking all the jumpers against any available documentation, even with a bare board, VGA, and RAM - no display, no beeps, nothing. I'm getting a bit exasperated by this, and I'd like to at least have a working baseline system to test some of the components against. So I'd like to hear if anyone has a baseline 486 system to spare.

I don't require a lot - I've got plenty of RAM to fill 'er up with, expansion cards out the wazoo, and my choice of hard drives. I just want something that POSTs correctly and gets to the point of being able to boot an OS or bitch about one not being installed. A board with VESA slots and cache RAM that supports a 50MHz CPU would be a bonus, but not a requirement. If someone happens to be within day-trip distance of the general Folsom, CA vicinity, I could even pick it up rather than have it shipped.

Anybody? Bueller?

Well, wouldn't you know it, I pulled out one of the 486 boards I've had the longest and hooked it up and all of a sudden it's booting normally :lol: I am, therefore, no longer in need of another 486 setup ;)

Back