• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Was given a 386-based system, but am unsure on the exact model

VirusVox

Greetings all! This is my first post here, so apologies if my post is a bit off, or the formatting is wonky.

A few months ago I was given the below system for free. I'd wanted a DOS based system for a while, and had never had any luck coming up with one so I jumped on this when I saw it. I'm not super knowledgeable on DOS-Era machines, but it's something I'd actively like to expand into. So I got it home and fired it up. I thought it was kind of abnormal that there were no manufacturer markings anywhere on the chassis, just a badge marked 'EXE 286 AT' - the individual who gave me the system confirmed it was initially a 286-based system, but was upgraded down the line to a 386. The system was loaded with Windows 3.1, which features a tiled background with the markings 'IBM PS/1'. So I would guess it's probably one of those, but as to what exact model I have no clue. Hopefully someone here does!

The other image attached is a small peripheral that was included with the machine. The person I got it from explained what it was at the time, but unfortunately I've since forgotten. If anyone does know what it is, please re-inform me!

Thanks for your time y'all

LFslkXmP.jpg medium.jpghUsAiIRX.jpg large.jpg

The second picture shows the part of an EPROM programmer where you insert the EPROM to be burned.

Regarding the computer: there exist various programs that can tell you what for CPU and peripherals are inside. MS-DOS has one but I completely forgot the name, some thing like MSD IIRC.

I thought it was kind of abnormal that there were no manufacturer markings anywhere on the chassis, just a badge marked 'EXE 286 AT' - the individual who gave me the system confirmed it was initially a 286-based system, but was upgraded down the line to a 386.

Very nice looking machine.

It is a "generic clone". Sometimes called a "no-name clone", although this one has a badge. Not odd at all.

In the late 80s/early 90s it was quite common for small local companies and individuals to buy cases/motherboards/cards from Taiwanese suppliers and then assemble complete machines, slapping their own badges on them. Often the configuration would be customized to meet customer's budget or needs. The small company or individual would then provide all "support" themselves. It was possible to save quite a bit of money that way.

So "EXE" would probably have been some small local company. There may have been only dozens, hundreds, or perhaps a few thousands with this particular branding.

DOS/Win3x-era hardware can not always be detected by software. The most simple way to find out more about the hardware is to remove the cover, take some pictures of the insides, post them here, and we can help identify them.

I just wanted to say thanks for the replies!

I had no clue the 'clones' were such common practice, so that makes sense! I've opened up the chassis and taken a few pictures to post here; this is the first time I've ever opened a computer of this age, and seeing it in person was quite something.

Here are the pictures I took!dospc1.jpgdospc2.jpgdospc3.jpgdospc4.jpgdospc5.jpg

I just wanted to say thanks for the replies!

I had no clue the 'clones' were such common practice, so that makes sense! I've opened up the chassis and taken a few pictures to post here; this is the first time I've ever opened a computer of this age, and seeing it in person was quite something.

Here are the pictures I took!dospc5.jpgdospc4.jpgdospc3.jpgdospc2.jpgdospc1.jpg

looks like a nice later model 386 system. Needs RAM though. Careful with those white RAM slots with plastic tabs, they can break easily.

What exactly would I be looking for in RAM for a system of this age?

Also for a Sound Card; I'm pretty sure there's no sound output I've seen at least, so I'd like to add one too. Any recommendations?

While you have it open, check to see if there is a battery on the motherboard. There will either be a small sideways mounted "can" battery, a large coin-cell battery, or sometimes a separate encased battery mounted on the side of the case. They are usually near the keyboard plug. Can style batteries will leak and need to be addressed as soon as possible.

Insides looks in such clean condition, I hope it has not made much of a mess.

It looks like that board has some DIP style RAM chips on it already, and then uses 30-pin SIMMs for further expansion. How much ram does it say it has? 2 megabytes perhaps? Adding more RAM would depend on what you want to do with it.

While you have it open, check to see if there is a battery on the motherboard. There will either be a small sideways mounted "can" battery, a large coin-cell battery, or sometimes a separate encased battery mounted on the side of the case. They are usually near the keyboard plug. Can style batteries will leak and need to be addressed as soon as possible.

Insides looks in such clean condition, I hope it has not made much of a mess.

It looks like that board has some DIP style RAM chips on it already, and then uses 30-pin SIMMs for further expansion. How much ram does it say it has? 2 megabytes perhaps? Adding more RAM would depend on what you want to do with it.

I'll get right on checking that as soon as I get off work. I don't recall the RAM amount the system has, but I will also check that as soon as I'm home!

What exactly would I be looking for in RAM for a system of this age?
Unless it is a 386DX and you run Windows 3.1(1) or heavy games there is no benefit to more than 1 or 2 MB IMO. So 4X 256KB or 8X 265KB 30PIN SIMM. Or 4X 1MB or 8X 1MB 30PIN SIMMs. It may already have RAM as there are quite a few DRAM chips plugged in already. Probably 1 to 4MB already.

Also for a Sound Card; I'm pretty sure there's no sound output I've seen at least, so I'd like to add one too. Any recommendations?
Any 8BIT or 16BIT sound card would work great. As off late original early SBs have become very expensive. Clones are still plentiful and cheap.

Also check for a barrel battery: those can leak and destroy the MOBO.

You may be able to find the brand and product details on the MOBO (silk screen) and look up jumper settings on Stason.

I've been doing some looking around and reading on sound cards, but haven't managed to find much on the Sound Blaster 16 Pro CT2950; is this a good Sound Card that would fit well in this system, or should I look elsewhere?

Webp.net-compress-image(1).jpg

I believe this is the battery you've all talked about; hasn't leaked so far but definitely a barrel-style battery. What's the solution to fix this battery before it leaks, replacing it?

Hey all.

I have got the computer set up and running, I can now confirm it has 2MB of RAM on the board itself, however I'm encountering an issue. I went to format the computer in order to erase all of the previous owner's data, and the partition successfully cleared and reestablished itself, but the drive will not format. The drive formats to 19%, and then errors and the formatting exits. Anyone happen to know why this would happen?

After attempting to install a couple games none of them were able to determine exactly what the video card installed is, other than that it's not SVGA. Does anyone know what that card happend to be?

After attempting to install a couple games none of them were able to determine exactly what the video card installed is, other than that it's not SVGA. Does anyone know what that card happend to be?
If the monitor connector uses 15 pins, it is either VGA or SVGA (with the games not detecting the chipset). You can try to run MSD (comes with MS-DOS 6.x) to identify the graphics chipset.

The card installed in the computer in the pictures is most definitely a VGA card, so any game should have worked. What games did you try, and did you set them up for VGA or MCGA if they needed setup?

The card installed in the computer in the pictures is most definitely a VGA card, so any game should have worked. What games did you try, and did you set them up for VGA or MCGA if they needed setup?

The main game that couldn't identify the card was Sim City 2000, which I did set up for VGA graphics but it still wouldn't launch due to not having enough RAM, which I've ordered 4MB more to help rectify that. If I remember correctly Wolfenstein 3D also couldn't identify the card, but worked just fine in VGA mode.

Utilizing the Diagnostic Utility it shows no model name, but does show that the card is manufactured by Oak Technologies.

Back