• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Wavetable Board... Should I Use It?

OK. Double-checked my gaming rig at lunch. I apparently never got around to the planned swap-out of my generic Ensoniq card with my SB Pro v2 card - but thought that I had. To the best of my knowledge, the MT-32 will work just fine with the SP Pro v2, but I've not yet tested that assertion. I'll do so and get back to you guys, hopefully will have time tonight. I've also edited my previous post for future reference (I wouldn't want someone in the future to look up and find misinformation - again, my apologies)

Unknown_K: Sorry for the mislead. I had meant to say that it's necessary to slow the computer down to roughly 286/386 speeds for some games (mostly Sierra games, Conquests of the Longbow among them) to avoid the overflow problems. For most games, you can safely run to 100mhz and sometimes even 150mhz without running into problems (though you may have to play with disabling CPU caches, etc). You can follow the threads at Quest Stuios MT-32 forum and find much information on this subject.

Well if you have to disable caches to slow things down then the CPU is too fast isn't it. ;)

Sierra games are fine on 286 and slow 386 systems (or Tandy 1000's if you like the pcjr sound), and I would think people who love DOS games have a few generations of systems to play them all on anyway (well I do).

If you really need to slow down your cpu, I have a small utility called "CACHE ON/CACHE OFF". It's an executable and works on anything below a Pentium. Your welcome to it if you think you could use it.

Back