• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Way OT: Over the Air Broadcast TV

Actually, some high-band VHF stations got to keep their VHF channel, and so high-band (170-220MHz) reception is still useful. While many UHF antennas will have some gain even at one-third of their design frequency, the pattern is going to be less than optimal. The only station I can reliably receive in my area is a high-band VHF, and its antenna is more distant than three UHF stations' antennas (a UHF station on the same tower as the VHF station does not have usable signal, even). So my 22-year old Radio Shack mid-range VHF-UHF log-periodic is still very much used, with a 15 year old rotator, even.

Very true.

It is area specific, I'd heard most areas don't have VHF channels. Maybe that's not so true.

We still have a VHF channel here, but it's just one, and it receives fine with my UHF-only antenna pointed away from it. Apparently not everyone has had success because they are now simulcasting those channels on UHF.

It pays to research which channels one wants to receive before purchasing and erecting an antenna. I found www.tvfool.com very useful for this.

The only thing I hadn't expected when I put my antenna up was the coverage area is significantly different than predicted for my area: I receive Madison better than Milwaukee, and Eau Claire comes in pretty well. This made antenna orientation very difficult. Next time I go up on the roof I'm taking a TV with me.

We have two VHF channels where I am, and they can be a pain to pick up. I've found the best solution for that is to have both a VHF and UHF antenna with a VHF/UHF combiner.

Back