• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

WD1002A-WX1 + Seagate ST-251 Configuration on IBM 5150

Well I took the power supply apart. The inside of the case was very clean, but inside the PSU housing it was absolutely filthy.. Fuse looked ok, so I took it apart I gave it very good spray down and cleaning with alcohol. After it dried I put it back together and its working again - so far so good! Will know if it's really up to the task next week, I ordered a Y splitter and will see if I can run both disk drives.

I wish I knew! It's a genuine IBM power supply, model IBM-1800841, but I can't find any information about it. It only has this one tiny sticker on it with that model # - nothing else.

Then it’s probably an early original power supply. My later 5150 has a silver 63.5 watt power supply. I think only the earliest of 5150 usually had the black power supply and slot covers.

Dang, This unit was upgraded with the 8087 & CGA so I was hoping it the PSU was upgraded too/higher wattage. I have another 5150 with the silver, clearly marked at 63.5 watts. So, a single hard drive *is* working - is that not a good idea with this PSU?

According to this some users report that the low watt power supply does just fine with more modern drives.

You might get away with one hard drive running, but I think two would be pushing it. You'll be running near the capacity of the PS, so if you were to do a bunch of power hungry stuff all once, the system might go unstable Yeah, the black power supplies are the early models, and probably will struggle getting over 60w. True authentic vintage experience right there!

Ok so if I wanted to upgrade it to something with higher capacity what model(s) should I be looking for?

Ok so I have upgraded to 130W and things are working well. Now I wanted to see if I could get that 2nd hard disk (another ST-251) going. I am pretty certain I have all the cabling correct... a summary:

I have a single floppy disk with the 5150 configured for 1 floppy drive. This is connected the stock FDD controller.

WD1002A cables:
Control Cable J1: Drive C - middle position, Drive D - end position
Data Cable J2 (Drive 0): Drive C
Data Cable J3 (Drive 1): Drive D

ST-251 Drive C: Jumpered to DS2 (No resistor pack)
ST-251 Drive D: Jumpered to DS3 (Resistor pack installed)

No other jumpers installed on ST-251's or WD1002A.

I enter the low level formatter (Debug, g=c800:5) and it says "Current Drive is C:, Select new Drive or RETURN for current."

I try entering D: but it says "Invalid device". Tried difference options too, like "D", "2", "1".. if I enter "C" it takes it but obviously that's not what I want.. C is the boot device and I need to format D.

When entering FDISK I don't get the option to switch fixed disks, so the DOS is not seeing that I have a 2nd fixed disk installed. Any thoughts?

I was curious about the drive select on the ST-251's.. Should they be DS1 & DS2? Because when I tried that it wouldn't boot to my C... took me into BASIC.

I'm also running two 251-1's in my 16-64k 5150 with an XT-IDE CF reader. For years I've use DR-DOS 6's SuperStor (by AddStor) and it reliably doubles the 251's capacity so you could get 168mb :)

Back