• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

web-surfing on windows 3.1: Any good winsocks?

Yup, that's my experience too (though I did it with a Tandy 1000 RL; not much difference.) Using IRC on the Tandy was pretty OK though. I wonder -- would it be impossible to get better performance "somehow"? Like could a carefully assembler optimized browser with some really clever trickery parse the HTML much faster and lay it out in better fashion?

I know this is kinda "cheating", but there is a public Lynx client available at lynx.scramworks.net that can be accessed by any machine with an ANSI enabled telnet program. This is infinitely faster than running a browser natively under DOS/Win 3.x....in fact the first web browsing I did at home was on a 1000RLX (286) with a 2400bps modem dialing into a local library that provided the same service. It was incredibly fast considering the hardware, and I could still download files (including embedded images) to my PC. That was around 1995/1996 and there were tons of Lynx servers back then...this is supposedly the last one on the net.

If it ever goes down, it'd be possible to setup the same thing in your house if you've got a *nix system serving Lynx - though I'm not sure exactly how it's done....I don't understand anything about xterm yet. This functionality does not exist in the DOSLynx or Win32 versions.

It's a shame there was never a Lynx port for 16-bit Windows, it is really brilliant in it's simplicity. Your best bet is IE 5.01, which really blows. I've played around a lot with different browsers and Win 3.x (and NT 3.x) in Virtual PC but it's buggy as hell.

Back