• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Weird Wico trackball mod

bano

Hi everyone,
hope someone here can help me shred some light on this.
Some time ago I picked up a somewhat modified Wico Command Control trackball.
As you can see from the pics, the original logic board has probably been replaced, and a potentiometer has been added in place of the biggest button. Also, a couple of other buttons have been added.

Based mainly on the 16 pin DIP connector, I speculated it could've been modified to connect to the Apple II controller port (pinout here), and indeed some of the pins are just right: Vcc and GND are, respectively, on pins 1 and 8, and two of the pushbuttons are wired to pins 2 and 3 (PB0 and PB1). Also, the added potentiometer is wired to pin 6 (GC0).
But the rest seems just wrong: the third pushbutton is wired to GC2, there's something wired to pin 16 (that should be unused), and checking the status of GC1 and GC3 I get always 255 no matter what.

Maybe I'm totally wrong, and the mod was not anywhere related to the Apple II, but seems odd having several pins just matching the controller port pinout.

Does someone have an idea of what this can be?

Thanks in advance.
Gabriele

Maybe it was modified for CAD design? Allowed you to do some drawings, then sent the print command to the plotter.

Back