• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Were MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11 ever released in a retail box?

JeffPaine

Or were just upgrade versions released in a retail box? I can find plenty of OEM versions on eBay, and plenty of MS-DOS 6 and Windows 3.11 retail boxes, but I've only seen MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11 retail boxes for the upgrade versions.
EDIT: I just checked and the latest non-upgrade retail version of MS-DOS I could find was MS-DOS 5!

Last edited:
The way Billy Boy Gates protected *his* property, there HAD to be non-upgrade versions out there. Unless you were forced to buy a new computer to get it, not really sure.

Most bundle copies of 6.22/WFW I see on the net are usualy OEM packs. My original copy of Win 3.1 came bundled in a box with a MS mouse 1.0 (wish I still had the mouse).

I don't think I ever seen a retail box for DOS and Windows 3.x, they were sold seperatly.

I don't think he meant as a single package.

Anyway, I had totally forgotten the "stacker" issue. I was actually stupid enough to use the 6.22 disk compression software for a long time. I can't count the number of times I would wonder if I had lost my entire C drive.

I DO NOT miss the days of spending $1500 for a 20 MB MFM drive.

It's gettng insane with the disk drives. 6GB pocket drive for $60 or something like that.

I hated compression done by software, I wonder why there were not hardware solutions for this (before ever cheaper HDs made it uneconomical to do it in hardware).

Back