• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

what version of dos?

squirrel-steam

Experienced Member
I fired up the old pcjr today, and im pretty sure it is really old, I think it has IBM PCDOS 1.0 or something, heres some screen pics, first one is it without the ibm basic cartridge, the second with it in.
without cartridge
ibm-nocart.jpg

with cartridge
ibm-cart.jpg

That is BASIC, not DOS. The PCjr does not have DOS in ROM or on a cartridge. You need to load DOS from a floppy disk. PC DOS 2.10 was the original version of DOS that came with the PCjr. 2.10 was the first version to properly support the PCjr's half-height floppy drive (versus the full-height drives used in the PC and XT).

Ok, i think it is suppose to boot to cassette basic without DOS or a cartridge? So how would i get it to boot to dos 2.10, make a 2.10 boot diskette?

Ok, i think it is suppose to boot to cassette basic without DOS or a cartridge? So how would i get it to boot to dos 2.10, make a 2.10 boot diskette?

Exactly, or just write the images of DOS 2.1 to two (DOS 2.1 came with one system and one supplement disk) 160Kb formatted disks. I have raw disk images of both (and original disks with manual, but them I want to keep), so PM me if you are interested.

Back