• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What would you like to see from Tandy PC clones?

eeguru

Veteran Member
I'm showing a collection of Tandy's PC compatibles from the mid 80's at Tandy Assembly'17. My exhibit is called Tandy 12345K and I plan on demoing one machine from each of the first generation of the 'millennium' machines: 1000 (HX), 2000 (HD), 3000 (HD), 4000 (A), and 5000 MC. I have all the hardware cleaned, configured, and in great working order - shy of a few last minute purchases. And now I am installing software titles to support various 'themed' demos across the whole line. In addition to my own thoughts, I'd like to ask what the community thinks highlights Tandy's specific spin on other-wise rather plain beige boxes... and what I can show to highlight the computers featured in my drool drenched Radio Shack catalogs from years' past.

Thoughts?

-A

PS. If anyone is attending and has a spare MPU-401 I can borrow, I'll love you long time!

The only Tandys I own are the 1000 series (PCJr. clones). The newer models didn't interest me EXCEPT for the 5000 MC machine I never seen.

I would exhibit something to do with the enhanced tandy 3-channel sound or 16-color display. Later versions improved upon it with better sound systems and microphone recording support that you couldn't find native in other computers of that era without add-on cards - that may be just specific to the 1000 line of computers.

A good sierra christmas demo comes to mind as something that would be helpful to show audiences.

I think the 2000 models and up were more business oriented systems, so perhaps showing more about its processing ability or graphical display would be helpful. Did any of those models also support things like light pen support. The other area may be networking abilities - Radio shack frequently touted how easy it was to network their PC's.

There was a Sierra running store demo that ran on all Tandy 1000 systems and used 16-color graphics and 3-voice audio to showcase some of their games; I would put that on the Tandy 1000 as a nice multimedia running demonstration. All five of them appear to be here: https://archive.org/search.php?query=sierra agi demo

I would contact Silent700 to try to get images/copies of his Tandy 2000 software that shows off the 640x400 graphics of the T2000. Special versions of Flight Simulator and Lotus 1-2-3 (graphing) should work.

I'm afraid I have no suggestions for the 3/4/5xxx series.

There was a Sierra running store demo that ran on all Tandy 1000 systems and used 16-color graphics and 3-voice audio to showcase some of their games; I would put that on the Tandy 1000 as a nice multimedia running demonstration. All five of them appear to be here: https://archive.org/search.php?query=sierra agi demo

I would contact Silent700 to try to get images/copies of his Tandy 2000 software that shows off the 640x400 graphics of the T2000. Special versions of Flight Simulator and Lotus 1-2-3 (graphing) should work.

I'm afraid I have no suggestions for the 3/4/5xxx series.

I'll install the Sierra demos. I wasn't aware of them beyond the XMAS92 card. Thanks

I do have MS Flight Simulator (1.0) that supports 2000 enhanced color. I also have some BASIC code I typed in from a TRS-80 catalog (sitting along side the unit) that demos the modes. However my card has some issue that is causing glitching when clearing the current frame buffer. But it still works well enough to show.

So far:
3000 w/ EGM-1 monitor: DeskMate II, EGA Trek, and Sierra games showing a comparison of how bad the PC speaker was compared to T3V (via 1000 HX), SoundBlaster (via 4000 w/ GUS/SBOS), and MT-32 (via 1000 HX and 4000)

4000 w/ VGM-220 monitor: graphics demos like Fishtro, Second Reality, Unreal, etc, Trackers and Players (IT, FT2, ST3, Cubic, etc), MIDI playback, Sierra w/ SB and MT-32 output, and examples of MIDI sequencing w/ Casio keyboard

5000 w/ VGM-330 monitor: Windows, productivity software, PrintShop via a DMP-442, MIDI playback under Windows, Networking, and if I have time - Linux Kv2.2 and OS/2 2.x

Electronic Arts made 4 games with an awesome music routine by Rob Hubbard:
Skate or Die, One on One, Kings of the Beach, 688 Attack Sub.
I think they are the best showcase for the Tandy audio ever made.

If anyone sees someone at the Tandy Assembly who has a Tandy Sensation on display and is possibly interested in selling it - send them my way please! =D

Tandy released Microsoft Flight Simulator for the Tandy 1000/1200/2000. The 1000/1200 version was in CGA graphics running at 4.77MHz but the T2K was quite an improvement, taking advantage of the T2Ks 8-colour graphics giving higher FPS for a better simulation.

It would be good to see it running on a T1K HD and a T2K side by side. To see what the 4x cost of the T2K bought you in performance increase over the T1K.

Prepare for a bidding war on the Sensation :)

You would probably win haha, I've spent far more money this year on vintage gear than I care to admit and while sadly Tandy Assembly is only 3 hours away from me, highly doubt I'll be able to make the time to attend as much as I would love to.

Back