• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

When did low-quality eye glasses become the norm?

rpiguy2

Experienced Member
I recently lost my glasses and have switched to a nearly 20 year old pair while I wait for my new pair to arrive. When I put the old pair on I immediately noticed that the lenses, despite being a lower prescription, were heavier and felt like real glass as opposed to plastic.

Even though the prescription is wrong, the clarity is amazing and much clearer than what I get from modern polycarbonate lenses.

When did this change happen?

More importantly, is there anywhere you can you still get the older style lenses today?

When? I was first offered poly carbonate about 35 years ago. The last time I bought prescription lenses, about 25 years ago, glass was still an option.

I had my prescription glasses updated to progressive lenses (no line bifocals) this year and glass was still available depending on the frames you selected.

People like poly lenses because they weigh half as much, you can use them on semi rimless frames (which is what I normally get), and you can get them with transition lenses (not sure you can with glass).

Glass lenses take longer since they have to be tested for breaking.

Back