• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Where can you still find a BABY AT Computer case?

There are a couple different proprietary Sony CD-ROM interfaces, one 40-pin and one 34-pin. Only a few drives will work with each. I think you need a Sony CDU-535 drive.

That sound card is an Ensoniq SoundscapeVIVO (drivers).

So thanks again Plasma, those sound card drivers were easy to install and it was straightforward. Unfortunately the Sounds it produces in games is just such a different sound and pitch its bizarre. ITs correct, its just not at all how I remember those games. Warcraft, Doom, whatever. The Music is just wrong. So strange. But its the only card I have right now so it will have to do.

The original Soundscape sounds like shit for most OPL base games because it uses emulation to play sound effects, I don't think the VIVO is any different (I have one somewhere plus the original Soundscape sold by Reveal). People used the Soundscape for MIDI playback and another card for SFX.

I figured it was emulation. ITs fine. Im going to leave it. IT works, it just doesnt sound how I remember. And I dont feel like spending more money for another sound card when this one technically works fine. Interesting though an ISA sound card sold throughout 1997. Seems a bit late but maybe im just not remembering how quickly we all moved to pci.

Creative was late to the PCI soundcard scene and their first PCI cards was the SoundBlaster 64 and 128 in early mid 1998 and those cards are just Ensoniq ES1370 chips from their purchase of Ensoniq. The SoundBlaster LIVE came out much later that year.

IS the creative Awe 64 gold the same card that used the ensoniq chips? I had one many years ago and i thought it was pretty good. But cant really remember.

Creative was late to the PCI soundcard scene and their first PCI cards was the SoundBlaster 64 and 128 in early mid 1998 and those cards are just Ensoniq ES1370 chips from their purchase of Ensoniq. The SoundBlaster LIVE came out much later that year.
Ackshully the first Creative PCI card was the "Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI" immediately after they bought Ensoniq. I know because I had one and it was garbage for anything DOS. :poop:

Ackshully the first Creative PCI card was the "Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI" immediately after they bought Ensoniq. I know because I had one and it was garbage for anything DOS. :poop:
So essentially the same card as mine.... well its got an interesting sound thats for sure. For instance E1M1 in doom sounds so vanilla and boiled down its almost comical. Like a low tempo Doom.... AS if played on a kazoo by little kids.

For some reason I thought the ISA Soundscapes had an FM synth but I guess not. The two big problems with the AudioPCI were no FM and the stupid DOS drivers required for port trapping since it was PCI. I don't think it supported SB16 emulation either, just SB Pro.

I think my ensoniq card does sb emulation. ITs got options for it in the config files and windows setup dialogs.

If you have the option in games, general MIDI should give you a lot better music than Adlib/Soundblaster (which will just be FM emulated badly with MIDI patches).

Creative did sell a PCI soundcard before the Ensoniq buyout. It was called the AWE64D (CT4650) and was OEM only. It required the use of the SB-LINK header found on some period boards to work under DOS. The company's main motivation for buying Ensoniq was to acquire their DOS Sound Blaster emulation software (which required no cables) that was being used by the AudioPCI line.

I can't find a release date for the AWE64D but I will take your word for it. Too bad SB link wasn't more widespread, because it was a better solution.

Actually between windows 95 and 2001 (windows me or windows 2000.) DOS was still a huge percentage of the population of computer users because forced obsolescence was not a thing yet.

Actually between windows 95 and 2001 (windows me or windows 2000.) DOS was still a huge percentage of the population of computer users because forced obsolescence was not a thing yet.
Yes, but nobody was buying a new motherboard with an option for DOS sound in the late Windows 98/ME era. People who kept using DOS kept using their old gear.

Back