• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Where do you find old computers?

jamesbeat

Experienced Member
Chippewa Falls, WI (Home of Cray Research!)
I currently have a Retropie box for my emulators, but I grew up with computers rather than consoles, and having a machine hooked up to my TV with a keyboard and mouse on my lap is less than ideal.

I decided that I need a computer desk type arrangement for these machines, so I have decided to build another emulation box.

This one will also be running Retropie, and I have bought a Raspberry Pi Zero for it.

While the Zero is very small, I'm also going to need a powered usb hub, a joystick interface (which I hacked together from a gamepad) and various other bits and pieces.

This tangled mess led to a realization that just because you CAN put a Pi in a small enclosure doesn't mean you SHOULD.

With that in mind, I have decided to mount all of the necessary parts into an old PC case and break out all the ports etc.

I want a PC case that looks suitably old, and I thought it would be nice to use a beige desktop (ie horizontal, not a tower).

Trouble is, I don't seem to be able to find one.
I looked in the pallet of old PC's at work, but although there are some beige ones, they are all towers.
I brought one home and have emptied it out to use as a stopgap, but I really want a desktop.

I've tried ebay and craigslist, but the ebay ones are ridiculously overpriced and craigslist in my area doesn't have much in the way of older machines. No luck in the thrift stores either.
I've even driven around on garbage night a couple of times, but New York State's electronics recycling laws seem to have closed off that avenue.

So where do you guys get your old machines?
Is there an avenue I have missed?

If you make a habit of going to local thrift stores every so often, you're bound to run into a few gems.

Some thrift store "chains" send all donated electronics to a central location, or they have deals with recyclers, so be sure to ask them if they do that.

Craigslist is great if you keep an eye on it. Occasionally you find posts with vague titles like "old computers" where people are unloading whole store rooms.

Estate sales are another option. Sometimes people have old computers in their homes that end up there.

And of course a lot of people have old junk in their storage closets at home. I've been surprised what I've found just by asking people I know if that have something.

I frequent thrift stores quite often, because my wife sells clothing on eBay.
While I'm waiting for her I always take a look, but I've only ever seen about three computers, and they were vastly overpriced towers from the early 2000's.

I haven't had much luck on Craigslist either - again, overpriced junk.

It a weird, I would have thought that the strict recycling laws in NY would make people more likely to donate or sell since they can't put them in the trash.
We have a bunch of old machines at work that I could have, but they are all towers.
I took one of them home for now, so at least I can work on my project until I find a case.

Back