• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Where to find Vintage Computers

steveuk

Experienced Member
hi all

ok here is where i found Vintage Computers, i wont say all the makes i found, as there far to many and gone now anyays

1: Car Boot Fairs/ Flea Markets
2: House Clearance
3: Charity Shops
4: The LOOT New Paper
5: Shop adverts (sometimes)
6: Internet searching google, Ebay, News Groups.
7: friends selling there old collections
8: Word by mouth ya hear someone is selling some old retro stuff you ear wigg on the details and then butt in and as for contact details.
9: in lofts & Attics of houses when you movie into a new house, and old owner left stuff behind
10: local tip. trash yard, or where people just throw out for the trash man.

ok here where i got some of my stuff Mostly all gone now tho.lol.With Brought and Sold Prices.
=======================================================================
ZX spectrum 3 (Boxed)(Car boot fair)Paid £5 sold for £15

ZX 48K(BOXED) (Car Boot fair) £3:50 Sold for £10

Commodore C64 (Boxed) 150 Games,Tape Deck, Disk Drive, Joysticks Paid £45
Sold it in parts for differant prices. (The Loot)

Commodore C16 Boxed Paid £5, sold for £15 (Car Boot)

SX-64 Working (the Loot) paid £45 Sold for i think £75 (wished i held on to this now) may of got £200 now

SX 64 Non Working (Car Boot) Paid £15 Sold for £25

Toshiba MSX with tape drive and Games J/S(Car Boot) Paid £8 sold for £25

ZX81 Boxed as New paid £5 sold for £20 (Car Boot)

ZX80 Kit form (built) with tatty box, paid £2.50 Sold for £30 (car Boot)

BBC -B Master with tape deck and Disk Drive & Games. Paid £10 Sold for £25)Car boot

Acorn Electron with tape deck, and games <car Boot>Paid £7:50 sold for £15

C64 Eprom Burner (internet) paid £12( 6 year ago) sold for £35 2 years ago.

Box of games C64 all mixed type some with case some without, some with and with out boxes, 100 games (Car Boot) paid £7 Sold for £18

C64 Unboxed with Disk drive Tape Drive, Games Joystick several Cart Games, paid £55 sold in parts made money back on 3/4 of it still got the disk drive which is an C64 Excellerator drive. will put on Ebay when i find Power unit.
Got From Friend

C64 (boxed -007 kit with light gun) (car Boot) Paid £12:50 Sold for £28

Commodore C16 Boxed (car Boot) Paid £5, Sold for £15

Some computer simular to the SX-64, but was a US import ,found at Car Boot,
used for Air pollution Had small hard drive built into it, 7" monitor, keyboard that detached like the sx64, Turned on and worked/ Paid £20, gave to a friend to sell as a collector peace,never saw him or the computer again..GRRRRRR

2X C64s with tape decks, some games, PSUs, C64 didnt work, so used as spares. (Car Boot) paid £7:50

Commodore 1541 disk drive with PSU Working (car boot) paid £5, sold for £15

2x 1581 (3.5) disk drives USA inports with Convertors (The Loot) paid £65 for pair, both working 100% sold 1 over a year ago on Ebay sold for £65 (postage was £15 as heavy item) Still got 1 left, just need to find PSU & Convertor. UPDATE:(Now found PSU, still looking for Convertor. lol)

ZX81 Boxed as new, (charity Shop) paid £10 sold for £20

C64 Terminator 2 Boxed compleate (car boot) paid £12:50 sold for £20

300 X 5.25 floppy disks NEW (car Boot) paid £10 never sold them , throw over 200 away last year to get rid of them lol, just found 50 Floppy disks last nite.

Amstrad 464 (boxed)As new (car Boot) paid £6:50 sold for £15

Amstrad 128D (Boxed) with disks and Joystick (car Boot) paid £10, sold for £35

i have had other stuff, other types of 8-bit & Retro computer but just cant rember them now, i think the above was just half of what i had.

i once had 18 Commodore C64s, i sent 6 over to the filipines for family -inlaws to use, but when i got there they said they didnt work...i tried them and all we got was the blue screen no text, so dont know what happened to them, all 6 went like it, maybe they dint get the right convertors as they are 20-volts lower than us i think.?

the other 12 i sold off bit by bit some for £5 each some at £10.. i once had a german White Old case version i got that sent over to me from germany, paid i think £10 + £15 postage, sold it to a collector a year later for £35, it even had a special chip made for it, switch up to turn of to german text, flick low to turn on as english Text. very weird, i bet that would be worth more that £50-£100 now.

Add your Finds below where do you get your stuff from.?
be intrested to know.

Steve

Last edited:
Whoa....I'm amazed no one has mentioned one of the Best sources to find old computers and other tech stuff FOR FREE: >>>>> www.freecycle.org

I have received over 40 PC's and Apples in the last 5 months from Freecycle members that don't want their old computers to end up poisoning the land in a waste dump!

There are over 4200 Freecycle groups globally with over 4 million members, so there is probably a local group near you. They are all non-profit and are run by volunteers. Members practice recycling by offering to give useful items away instead of just discarding them to end up in a landfill.

I basically post every couple of months offering to ..."pick up that old unused or broken computer that has been sitting in your basement or garage".

I usually have 2-3 emails within a day of posting and I never have to drive over 4 miles to pick something up, because I just post in my town's local Freecycle group.

This past week, I picked up cool working 1993 Texas Instruments "TravelMate 4000E" laptop with a detachable Microsoft Ballpoint Mouse and color screen! It runs Windows 95 and has a 486 WinDX2/50Mhz CPU. I even got the power adapter, which is great because the old Ni-Cad battery was dead.

I would highly recommend everyone that wants some free machines for parts or to restore, find the nearest Freecycle group online and join up.
Plus it's fun to have a place to get rid of useful stuff you no longer need, while making someone else's day!

Good luck...;):)

Back