• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Where to get some publicly available big data to play with on a vintage computer?

Bill-kun

Veteran Member
Well, big data relative to a vintage home computer, anyway.

I have the idea of having a program to look up and calculate some stuff that we kind of generally have instant gratification for today. ("Alexa, what's the average annual rainfall in Phoenix, Arizona?" "Alexa, who wrote The Great Gatsby?" "Alexa, who won the 1912 World Series?" "Alexa, when is next full moon?") Also, just to have a vintage computer crunch the numbers instead of a modern computer.

The best idea I have so far is to find and download a few hundred megabytes of weather data and/or astronomy data. This information is of general interest, so I expect it is available to download from somewhere. Here are a few websites that I've found, but I am not sure if they have what I'm looking for, or where, or where else I could find it.

Ideally, I'd like to get timestamps on measured data, so I can have the option run it through a lightboard sort of program in shifted real time. Sort of like if you're watching a 20-year-old videotape from The Weather Channel, if you will.

Last edited:
Why not take real "big data" and just remove stuff entries until it fits?

Older datasets tend to be smaller, for example the MNIST database for image recognition is quite manageable. Of course, you can also scrape virtually anything yourself.

Back