• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Which black paint to use which matches the one of IBM XT and AT cases?

Robin4

Veteran Member
Iam trying to repaint a part of a nice old style case i want to build an older style 286 in it. (uses old style AT PSU with external red flipper switch)

Some years ago i bought it as a pravets system (i guess) but to keep the story short and clear.

The outside bottom part of the case was damaged and had rust spots over it. ( i sanded it down and did a repaint). Also the feets where missing too (but those are still easy to replace)
A long time ago i already tried to fix it so the case is usable to build in. Made a mistake on the choice for the right paint.
The one that i was using was the best i could find in the home depot here in the netherlands. First applying didnt look that bad when it was still wet.

Till it dried, its very raw to touch (looks almost as fine sand paper( the original paint is very softer to touch.
Also the paint is very easy to damage which it also did in a later state, when the black inside part was only waiting (and laying to be used)

If i look to the factory paint, it had on the front same rain like texture on it, (iam guessing which IBMs also had?)

Iam guessing that this old rain texture is very hard to get the same back.. But iam guessing i can probably do a better job when using other type of black paint, which would very match the one the factory was using.

Does anybody knows which paint could help me to finish this paint job and getting the right thing iam looking for?

I really dont care if i have to buy the paint over seas or have to pay some premium for it due hard to find.

IMG_20231030_000624[1].jpg

This is the case

IMG_20231030_000357[1].jpg

This is how it needs to look after painting. Same soft black (with or without those rainy drops inside the paint)

IMG_20231030_000551[1].jpg

These things i call `rainy spots` or flakes?

IMG_20231030_000445[1].jpg

This is how the outside bottom looks after repainting... Its look better then when there was rust.. But not the result i was hoping for.
I used paint in a metal can / jar and a paint roller foam.

Back